Side header image

Residence Permit

All international students who will be staying in Belgium for more than 3 months have to apply for a residence permit upon arrival.

special registration procedure for international students has been set up between the University of Antwerp and the Immigration Office of Antwerp (Deurne).  Students apply through the international Relations Office.

Please note that the average duration for obtaining your residence card is approximately two months. With a residence permit you can:

  • Open a bank account
  • Get health insurance in Belgium
As of 3 January 2019, the residence permit issued to non-EU students is also a work permit, now called single permit.  The single permit contains information that you are entitled to work.
If you hold a valid residence card that was issued before 3 January 2019, you are also entitled to work  until expiry date of your card.  In practice, however, it appears that employers want to have the information available on the single permit chip.  Upon request, an appointment can be made for you at Gate15 where a duplicate of your residence permit, now single permit, will be ordered. Contact





Hilde Didden
International Relations Office
Monday – Friday from 9.00h – 13.00h Closed on Wednesday
Gratiekapelstraat 10
2000 Antwerpen
Tel. +32 3 265 44 31