Every year, the Global Minds programme of VLIR-UOS (Flemish Interuniversity Council - University Development Cooperation) provides 38 scholarships for students from the University of Antwerp who travel to a developing country for an internship or as part of their studies.
What and where?
The grant is a lump sum of €1000. Students from within the European Economic Area (EEA) enrolled at the University of Antwerp can apply through the UAntwerp International Relations Office. Both Bachelor (from the second year on) and Master students are eligible for this scholarship.
Your stay in the South is for at least one month (minimum 28 days) and your country of destination is on the VLIR-UOS country list:
- Africa: Benin, Burkina Faso, Burundi, DR Congo, Ethiopia, Guinea, Cameroon, Kenya, Madagascar, Mali, Morocco, Mozambique, Niger, Rwanda, Senegal, Tanzania, Uganda, Zimbabwe, South Africa
- Asia: Cambodia, Philippines, Indonesia, Palestinian Territories, Vietnam
- Latin America: Bolivia, Cuba, Ecuador, Guatemala, Haiti, Nicaragua, Peru, Suriname
How to apply for a VLIR-UOS travel grant
1. Consult the VLIR-UOS web pages for all guidelines and conditions for eligibility:
- A step-by-step plan of the application procedure
- Guidelines for 2018-2021 (below on the web page, under 'Guidelines and forms').
- Database manual for the submission of a travel grant (under 'Guidelines and forms').
- Read version of the application form (under 'Guidelines and forms').
2. Create your application file on the VLIR-UOS database.
- Create an account.
- Click 'Travel grants 2020 UAntwerpen' (under 'Calls scholarship proposals' > 'Open calls') for internships or research visits of which at least 28 days take place in 2020.
- Be sure to read the guidelines carefully before you initiate your application, and keep the manual close by when completing the online form.
3. Register for a preparation day 'To the Global South' organised by UCOS
- Participation is mandatory: the attendance certificate is an essential part of your grant application.
- You can find the dates and locations on the UCOS website.
- You can choose any date or location, but mind the fact that only some of the preparation days are in English (Saturday 2nd November 2019 and Saturday 23rd May 2020 – both at THOMAS MORE MECHELEN).
- This vision text, prepared by UCOS and USOS, is used as a guide throughout this training.
The International Relations Office (Ms. Jiska Verbouw) from the University of Antwerp is happy to help you with this procedure.
For the call for 2020 ('Travel grants 2020 UAntwerpen'), the following deadlines apply:
- Application deadline - Round 1: Monday 16 December 2019 (if you depart to the South before June 2020)
- Application deadline - Round 2: Monday 11 May 2020 (if you depart to the South in or after June 2020)
The deadline will be followed shortly by a personal interview and a jury selection (see below).
After your application
After submitting your grant application, eligibility will be checked by the Institution Coordinator for Development Cooperation of the University of Antwerp. If your grant application is eligible, you will be invited for an interview with representatives from the International Relations Office and from USOS. Please make a note of the interview dates:
- Interviews - Round 1: 18 and 19 December 2019
- Interviews - Round 2: 18 and 19 May 2020
Shortly thereafter, the grant applications, supplemented by a written summary of the personal interview, are assessed by an academic selection jury. After final verification by VLIR-UOS, the results of the assessment are communicated via e-mail.
If you have any questions about the VLIR-UOS travel grants, application and selection procedures or other administrative formalities, please contact Jiska Verbouw, Institution Coordinator for Development Cooperation at the International Relations Office.