1. The master knows the basic principles and theories of social, organizational and interpersonal communication and can describe the state of affairs in the scientific debate.
2. The master has the ability to independently and systematically collect and critically process sources and research literature on a specific communication-scientific problem.
3. The master recognizes the communicative and media dimensions of societal and policy problems and their possible solutions, at micro and at macro (global) level.
4. The master is able to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, through visual or multimedia techniques, both at interpersonal level and at group-, organization- and mass media-level.
5. The master has insight in the nature, problems and possibilities of quantitative and qualitative research methods and is able to handle the main methods of observation and argumentation in communication science.
6. The master is able to describe the main phases (production, distribution, use) and communication modes, media types and media systems and to relate them to their political, social, cultural and economical functions and embedding.
7. The master knows the historical and epistemological backgrounds of communication sciences and their findings.
8. The master has multicultural literacy. He/she has a positive attitude and well-founded knowledge to enable him/her to function in a humane and creative way in multicultural societies and working environments.
9. The master can identify the complex ethical aspects of communicative acting in society.
10. The master has a profound knowledge of the basic principles, theories, findings, scientific debates, methods and techniques of the domain of Media Studies.
11. The master has the insight to place specific media(products) in the broader contemporary media field and the visual culture. He/she has a high degree of media literacy and is able to analyse, compare and evaluate images.
12. The master is able to critically reflect on the scientific domain of media culture: he/she is able to evaluate scientific texts by formulating criticism about concepts, methods and analyses.
13. The master is able to reflect critically on media and visual culture: he/she is able to evaluate social phenomena of media and visual culture from a scientific perspective and can take a well considered stand in current debates.