Application procedure in 4 steps
- Register in Mobility Online
- Fill in personal details, upload requested additional documents and complete requested extra questions
- Wait for approval of your application
- Pay the participation fee within 10 days after approval to secure your spot
Applications can be submitted by filling in the online registration form via Mobility Online before 17 May 2021. After having registered, you will automatically receive an email with further guidelines to complete your application.
Upon successful submission you will receive an automatic reply to confirm your application. In case your application is accepted, you will receive an email with more practical information on payment. Note that your subscription is only valid when the participation fee is received by the summer school’s secretariat.
Accepted students will be registered as regular students of the University of Antwerp and will hence receive a student account and a student card allowing them to have access to the catering facilities and the Wi-Fi network of the University of Antwerp. Furthermore, accepted students will be automatically insured under the policy of the University of Antwerp.
Includes course material, evening activities, coffee breaks, lunches, and farewell dinner. Does not include housing.
Cancellation by the organisation
The organisation reserves the right to cancel the course within two weeks after the deadline of application due to a lack of interest. Participants should keep this in mind when making travel arrangements; any expenses made other than registration fees will not be reimbursed. Registration fees will be reimbursed as soon as possible.
Cancellation by the participant
If the participant cancels more than 4 weeks before the start of the summer school, 50 % of the registration fee can be reimbursed to the participant. If the participant cancels within 4 weeks before the start of the summer school, € 100 of the registration fee will be refunded. All refunds are made in euros. The organisation cannot refund any shortfalls due to exchange rate fluctuations or bank charges.
A small number of scholarships are available for applicants to cover registration fees.
You can apply for this scholarship in Mobility Online with a motivation letter and CV, explaining why attending this summer school would be important for your academic studies or career and outlining also the reasons why you need a scholarship. Scholarship recipients will be selected on the basis of documented academic performance, personal achievements, diversity inclusiveness, and financial needs.
A maximum of two Master of History students can attend for free as part of their Master's programme.
Two types of scholarships are available for students who are currently enrolled as regular students of the University of Antwerp.
- Refund of €150/student after attending a summer school organised at Antwerp Summer University. An overview of all eligible summer schools can be found here. Students should prefinance the full registration fee and can claim a reimbursement of the allowance after submitting a certificate of attendance and proof of payment to the Antwerp Summer University Office.
The following students qualify for this refund: University of Antwerp students regularly enrolled under a diploma contract in a Bachelor, Master, Advanced Master, Preparatory Programme, Bridging Programme or Academic Teaching Programme, in either academic year 2020-2021 or 2021-2022.
- Scholarship for a short international experience for students who qualify for financial aid by the Department of Social, Cultural and Student affairs (SCS) .
Please refer to Blackboard ("een internationale ervaring > beurzen") or contact the Antwerp Summer University Office (see right) for more information on these scholarships.
Attending a summer school is a low-threshold opportunity for refugees to get to know Flemish Higher Education. From summer 2018 onwards, a limited number of reduced registration fees (€50) for refugees is made available by University of Antwerp.
Admission requirements and eligibility
- The admission requirements for refugees with foreign pre-qualifications are the same as those for all summer school participants. Please note that each summer school has its own specific admission requirements, including prior qualifications. For details, please visit the webpage of the summer school of your preference.
- English is the language of instruction of all programmes within Antwerp Summer University. As active participation is compulsory in all summer schools, English proficiency in reading, speaking and writing is required.
- In order to be eligible for a reduced registration fee, the candidate should belong to one of the following categories: asylum seeker / refugee status / subsidiary protection or a family member being reunited with a refugee.
- Candidates should (have) complete(d) a study orientation plan at Atlas. Candidates who are/have already been enrolled at a Flemish Higher Education Institution are not eligible for this reduced fee. Contact information is available on this webpage.
- Applications can be submitted by filling in the online registration form via Mobility Online. Candidates have to fill in personal details, upload some documents and complete extra specific questions per summer school.
- Depending on the category, candidates for these reduced fees have to upload (a) different document(s):
- asylum seekers
Scan of Annex 26 (issued by the Immigration Office in Brussels)
- recognised refugees:
Scan both sides residence permit
- a person receiving protection on humanitarian grounds (Dutch: subsidiair beschermde)
Scan of the letter issued by the “office of the commissioner general for refugees and stateless persons”
- a family member being reunited with a refugee
Scan of both sides of the residence permit of your family member
Proof of family composition.
- asylum seekers
- Application deadlines vary between summer schools. Please refer to the webpage of your preferred summer school to find out more.
Contact and more information
- For more information on Antwerp Summer University and the application procedure, please contact Mr Wannes Gijsels (firstname.lastname@example.org or +32 32654382).
- For special information for refugees looking to study at the University of Antwerp, please visit this webpage or make an appointment with Ms Parul Goel (email@example.com or +32 3265 3191).
The Urban Europe Research Alliance (UERA) provides a full coverage of the registration fee (€300/student) for a selection of students from the following European countries: Greece, Bulgaria, Poland, Czech Republic, Romania, Ukraine, Estonia, Latvia, Slovakia, and Slovenia. Scholarship recipients will be notified if they are selected and receive further information in the confirmation email.