The Faculty of Sciences is seeking to fill a full-time vacancy in the Department of Mathematics and Computer Science for a doctoral student in the area of Algebra.
- You will undertake supervised original research in the area of quadratic form theory in the research group of Prof. Karim Johannes Becher. Possible research topics include:
- local-global principles for quadratic forms and related objects;
- reduction theory and valuations on function fields over discretely valued fields;
- the Kaplansky radical of a function field;
- complexity bounds / essential dimension for quadratic form related objects;
- quadratic bundles over curves.
- You will prepare a doctoral thesis on your research topic as well as research publications.
- You will contribute to teaching in mathematics by giving or supporting exercise sessions.
Profile and requirements
- You hold (or are about to obtain) a Master’s degree (or equivalent) in Mathematics.
- You do not already hold a PhD in Mathematics.
- You have a very good and broad knowledge in algebra and algebraic geometry.
- You like solving hard problems and show strong abilities in this.
- You bring an international experience from your studies.
- You are discerning, conscientious, creative and cooperative.
- a doctoral scholarship for a period of two years, with the possibility of renewal for a further two-year period after positive evaluation;
- the start date of scholarship will be between 01.08.2016 and 01.10.2017;
- a gross monthly salary ranging from € 2.280,27 - € 2.419,84;
- a dynamic and stimulating work environment.
How to apply?
- Applications may only be submitted online , until the closing date 15.04.2017; they should include a letter of motivation addressing the research profile and a project description for the PhD-project (one page).
- More information about the application form can be obtained at email@example.com
- Questions about the profile and the description of duties are welcome; please contact Prof. Karim Johannes Becher (Tel. +32 (0)3 265 33 77, KarimJohannes.Becher@uantwerpen.be).
The University of Antwerp is a family friendly organization, with a focus on equal opportunities and diversity. Our HR-policy for researchers was awarded by the European Commission with the quality label 'HR Excellence in research'.