Departement: Departement Wijsbegeerte
Let’s shape the future - University of Antwerp
The University of Antwerp is a dynamic, forward-thinking, European university. We offer innovative academic education to more than 20 000 students, conduct pioneering scientific research and play an important service-providing role in society. We are one of the largest, most international and most innovative employers in the region. With more than 6000 employees from 100 different countries, we are helping to build tomorrow's world every day. Through top scientific research, we push back boundaries and set a course for the future – a future that you can help to shape.
The Department of Philosophy in the Faculty of Arts is looking for a full-time (100%) doctoral scholarship holder in the field of philosophy of science
- You will work actively on the preparation and defence of a PhD thesis in the field of philosophy of science (project: Evidence-based policy, fallibility and ignorance).
- You will publish scientific articles related to the research project.
- You will carry out a limited number of teaching and research support tasks for the Department of Philosophy.
- You hold a Master degree in philosophy (or moral sciences, or equivalent) or you will have obtained it by the time you start working (start date: see below).
- You can demonstrate excellent study results.
- Your research qualities are in line with the faculty and university research policies.
- You act with attention to quality, integrity, creativity and cooperation.
- Your English language skills are very good;
- A demonstrable interest in philosophy of science will be an asset;
What we offer
- We offer a doctoral scholarship for a period of two years. Following a positive evaluation, the scholarship can be renewed once for another two-year period.
- The planned start date is 1 October 2022 (or as soon as possible after that date if necessary).
- Your monthly scholarship amount is calculated according to the scholarship amounts for doctoral scholarship holders on the pay scales for Contract Research Staff (Dutch: Bijzonder Academisch Personeel, BAP).
- You will receive ecocheques, Internet-connectivity allowance and a bicycle allowance or a full reimbursement of public transport costs for commuting.
- You will do most of your work at the Stadscampus in a dynamic and stimulating working environment.
- Find out more about working at the University of Antwerp here.
Want to apply?
- You can apply for this vacancy through the University of Antwerp’s online job application platform up to and including 10 August 2022 (by midnight Brussels time). Click on the 'Apply' button, complete the online application form and be sure to include the following attachments: a motivation letter, your academic CV including names and email addresses of two possible referees (please do not send letters of recommendation when submitting your application form), and a brief (250 words) summary of your Master’s dissertation.
- The selection committee will review all of the applications as soon as possible after the application deadline. As soon as a decision has been made, we will inform you about the next steps in the selection procedure. We kindly ask you to already take note of the dates for interview: 26th of August.
- If you have any questions about the online application form, please check the frequently asked questions or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any questions about the job itself, please contact both Prof. dr. Bert Leuridan (Bert.Leuridan@UAntwerpen.be) and Dr. Jan Potters (Jan.Potters@UAntwerpen.be).
The University of Antwerp received the European Commission’s HR Excellence in Research Award for its HR policy. We are a sustainable, family-friendly organisation which invests in its employees’ growth. We encourage diversity and attach great importance to an inclusive working environment and equal opportunities, regardless of gender identity, disability, race, ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation or age. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and with diverse characteristics to apply.