23 & 24 March 2022 - University of Antwerp & Royal Academy of Fine Arts Antwerp
Seminar initiated by Vivi Touloumidi, Umut Eldem and Dr. Adilia Yip
In this 4th edition of Method/Art seminar, we would like to discuss the notion of other and otherness in artistic research and creative process. The other implies the consciousness of thinking someone/something is different and distant from me and us, and the acceptance of being and feeling different; while at the same time, the other exists in the same world as me and us. Similar and different, close and distant, engaging the other and identifying otherness often stimulate artistic discoveries and developments through clashing and confronting the differences, but also through recognizing the commonness among them and us in this world.
We would like to invite researchers of different artistic disciplines to discuss the different facets of the other in their research and creative process. Here are some possible questions to start with, but not limited to:
- How does other(-ness) play out in your artistic research methodology?
- The process and ethics of othering : How do we discern inclusivity and representation of other(-ness) in artistic work and the creative field?
- Does recognizing the other become the process of separating me from my ego-centricism, playing a role in the process of transformation and self-awareness?
- How do we confront the othering of age, sexual orientation, gender identity, ethnicity etc. in society through art and creativity?
We invite contributors to share their insights and methodologies of different perspectives of other, othering and otherness. The presentation can be in the format of paper presentation or lecture-performance, with a duration of 20 minutes plus 10 minutes Q&A. The seminar will be conducted in English.
You can send a proposal with the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: 1st of February 2022
- Name of the presenter and affiliated institute (if applicable)
- An abstract of 250 words (maximum) to describe the subject of the presentation
- A short curriculum vitae of the presenter in 150 words
- A photo of the project or the presenter(s)
- 23 March: ARIA office, Lange Sint Annastraat 7, Room S.209, 2000 Antwerp
- 24 March: Royal Academy of Antwerp, The Tempel, Mutsaardstraat 31, 2000 Antwerp