28 & 29 June - A Gadder Haus, Belvaux (LU)
During a series of open ateliers Weaving Futures created a space where people with different histories have built conversations beyond language. While working with textile, music and image, the ateliers were a starting point to bring people together and nourish their dreams. It offered a place to practice new ideas and to build generous communities. We believe that it’s through artistic practice that we can materialize questions that language cannot express, and make us see what is possible in real life. For some, this process contributed to other senses of belonging, for others it built new networks. In addition it brought a series of beautiful bags and baskets from upcycled textiles, a hip-hop performance, new songs, music, dance and a short documentary.
But what actually happened during these exchanges, where can we locate what is of value and where are the challenges? How did the project voice the needs of the participants? How can we build other realities through this kind of collaborative form of making? In short, what can we learn from these experiences and how can we do it better together in the years to come?
To unpack these questions, we will weave different voices during an engaging symposium on collaborative practices in the field of art and migration. We will listen to experts from the field, share our tastes over lunch, listen to tunes and exchange thoughts through acts of making.
Tuesday 28 June, Day I
- 09:30 Doors Open, welcome with coffee and tea
- 10:00 Introduction programme of the day by Annelys de Vet
- 10:10 Welcome by Simone Asselborn
- 10:20 Lecture/presentation on art and migration by Koku G. Nonoa & Luis Santiago
- 11:00 Presentation by Yusra Amounah
- 11:45 Coffee break
- 12:00 Presentation by Marinella Rinaldis
- 12:30 Film screening “A mountain of small things“ by Fadi Chéquryah & Nael Nassan
- 13:00 Lunch (in garden) by Epicery Social Including textile session by Samira Vogel, Julina Bezold, Josiane Mangen, Fadi Chéquryah
- 14:30 Sound and dance workshop by Helder da Graca & Serge Kaboré
- 15:30 Round table discussion with Franca Romeo, Koku G. Nonoa, Luis Santiago, Yusra Amounah, Nael Nassan, Fadi Chéquryah, Annelys de Vet (moderator) & audience
- 16:30 Concluding words by Christophe Müller
- 16:45 Wrap up by Annelys de Vet
- 17:00 Drinks & celebration
Wednesday 29 June, Day II
- 10:00 Doors open
- 10:30 Textile session, part I with Samira Vogel, Julina Bezold, Josiane Mangen, Faddi Chéquryah Interventions by Yusrah & Annelys de Vet
- 13:00 Lunch
- 14:00 Textile session, part II by Samira Vogel, Julina Bezold, Josiane Mangen, Faddi Chéquryah
- 17:00 End
The symposium is organised by Douri Asbl & University of Luxembourg, in collaboration with Sandberg Instituut, Disarming Design & Antwerp Research Institute for the Arts. Weaving Futures, is a project by Annelys de Vet & Yusra Amounah (Douri asbl), in the framework of the programme loop - down the hills, across the land curated by Anna Loporcaro, produced by the municipality of Sanem and coordinated by Services for Creatives for Esch2022 - European Capital of Culture.