Filip Lemic received his B.Sc. and M.Sc. in electrical engineering and information technology from the University of Zagreb, Croatia in 2010 and 2012, respectively. In 2017, he received his Ph.D. (magna cum laude) from the Telecommunication Networks Group (TKN) of the Technische Universität Berlin (TU Berlin), Germany. In 2014, he was awarded a three-years long Young Scientists' scholarship by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD). He was a visiting researcher at the Qualcomm Ubiquitous SWARM Lab and Berkeley Wireless Research Center (BWRC) of the University of California at Berkeley (UC Berkeley), USA in 2015 and 2016, respectively. His research stay was supported by the UC Berkeley's stipend for visiting scholars. In 2018, he took a short break from the academia and joined FIWARE Foundation as a senior research engineer and technology consultant. Currently, he is a Marie Curie postdoctoral researcher at the Internet Technology and Data Science Lab (IDLab) of the University of Antwerp, Belgium. He is also a senior researcher at the imec research institute. In 2019, he did a research stay at the Terahertz Wireless Communications (TWC) Lab of the University of Michigan - Shanghai Jiao Tong University Joint Institute (UM-SJTU JI), China, supported by the Research Foundation Flanders (FWO). He has co-authored more than 40 peer-reviewed scientific papers and has been involved in a number of international research projects, notably EU EVARILOS, EU eWine, NIST's PerfLoc, and UC Berkeley's beyond-5G (xG).
His research interests include context and location-aware, mmWave, THz, sub-GHz, battery-less, and opportunistic (nano)communication and networking, as well as testbed infrastructures and performance evaluation in wireless networks.
- October 2020 - Demo paper accepted at ACM SenSys 2020!
- September 2020 - Together with N3Cat colleague Dr. Sergi Abadal, I gave an invited talk at ACM NanoCom 2020!
- September 2020 - Tobia De Koninck defended his master thesis!
- August 2020 - Two papers accepted at IEEE GlobeCom 2020!
- August 2020 - Paper accepted at MDPI Sensors!
- July 2020 - Paper accepted at ACM NanoCom 2020!
- July 2020 - I will be serving as a general co-chair of the 1st ACM International Workshop on Nanoscale Computing, Communication, and Applications (ACM NanoCoCoA 2020)!
- June 2020 - I will be serving as associate editor at Frontiers' Non-Conventional Communications and Networks!
- June 2020 - Start of the EU H2020 MSCA-IF ScaLeITN project!
We are offering the following master thesis / internship topics:
- Neighbour Discovery and Delay-tolerant Data Delivery in UAV-supported Wireless Networks
- Enhancing Experimentation Repeatability by Utilizing Robotic Platform as Mobile Obstacles
- Machine Learning and Context-based Discovery in UAVs-supported mmWave Wireless Networks
- Coarse-grained Localization of In-body Energy-harvesting Nanonodes
- Mobile Relay vs. Intelligent Reflective Surface in Context-supporting mmWave Networks
- Enhancing Multi-Gigabit Wi-Fi Standards to Support Virtual Reality Streaming Content
- Location-based Discovery in Directional WiFi Communication (student: Pieter Hendriks)
- Toward Context-aware Virtual Reality (student: Mathias Ooms)
- Drone-based Generation of 3D Maps of Indoor Radio Environments (student: Ken Mendes) [report]
- Google Scholar: https://scholar.google.de/citations?user=ddPi_LsAAAAJ&hl=de
- ResearchGate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Filip_Lemic
- Old publications: https://www.tkn.tu-berlin.de/team/lemic/publications/
Filip Lemic, Chong Han, Jeroen Famaey: "Idling Energy Modeling and Reduction in Energy Harvesting Terahertz Nanonetworks for Controlling Software-Defined Metamaterials", IEEE Journal on Emerging and Selected Topics in Circuits and Systems, 2020
Filip Lemic, Sergi Abadal, Wouter Tavernier, Pieter Stroobant, Didier Colle, Eduard Alarcón, Johann Marquez-Barja, Jeroen Famaey: "Survey on Terahertz Nanocommunication and Networking: A Top-Down Perspective", submitted for publication, 2020
Michiel Aernouts, Filip Lemic, Bart Moons, Jeroen Famaey, Jeroen Hoebeke, Maarten Weyn and Rafael Berkvens: "Implementing a Multimodal Localization Framework for IoT Applications", MDPI Sensors, 2020
- Filip Lemic, Arash Behboodi, Jeroen Famaey, Rudolf Mathar, “Location-based Discovery and Vertical Handover in Heterogeneous Low-Power Wide-Area Networks”, IEEE Internet of Things Journal, 2019
Filip Lemic, Vlado Handziski, Michiel Aernouts, Thomas Janssen, Rafael Berkvens, Adam Wolisz, and Jeroen Famaey, "Regression-based Estimation of Individual Errors in Fingerprinting Localization", IEEE Access, 2019
Giuseppe Caso, Luca De Nardis, Filip Lemic, Vlado Handziski, Adam Wolisz, and Maria-Gabriella Di Benedetto, "ViFi: Virtual Fingerprinting WiFi-based Indoor Positioning via Multi-Wall Multi-Floor Propagation Model", IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, 2019
Filip Lemic, Sergi Abadal, Jeroen Famaey, "Toward Localization in Terahertz-Operating Energy Harvesting Software-Defined Metamaterials: Context Analysis", invited paper, 7th ACM International Conference on Nanoscale Computing and Communication (NanoCom), 2020
Ken Mendes, Filip Lemic, Jeroen Famaey, "Demo Abstract: Automated, Autonomous, and Repeatable Wireless Experimentation in Heterogeneous 3D Environments", 18th ACM Conference on Embedded Networked Sensor Systems (SenSys), 2020
Yongzhi Wu, Filip Lemic, Chong Han, Zhi Chen, "A Non-Uniform Multi-Wideband OFDM System for Terahertz Joint Communication and Sensing", submitted for publication, 2020
Jakob Struye, Filip Lemic, Jeroen Famaey, "Towards Ultra-Low-Latency mmWave Wi-Fi for Multi-User Interactive Virtual Reality", IEEE Global Communications Conference (GlobeCom), 2020
Tobia De Koninck, Serena Santi, Jeroen Famaey, Filip Lemic, "Experimental Validation of IEEE 802.11ah Propagation Models in Heterogeneous Smart City Environments", IEEE Global Communications Conference (GlobeCom), 2020
Filip Lemic, Jeroen Famaey, "Artificial Neural Network-based Estimation of Individual Localization Errors in Fingerprinting", IEEE Consumer Communications & Networking Conference (CCNC), 2020
Serena Santi, Filip Lemic, Jeroen Famaey, "On the Feasibility of Location-based Discovery and Vertical Handover in IEEE 802.11ah", IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference (WCNC), 2020
Filip Lemic, Vlado Handziski, Jeroen Famaey, "Toward Regression-based Estimation of Localization Errors in Fingerprinting-based Localization", 89th IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC-Spring), 2019
Filip Lemic, Raja Usman Akbar, Johann Marquez-Barja, Jeroen Famaey, "Assessing the Reliability of Energy Harvesting Terahertz Nanonetworks for Controlling Software-Defined Metamaterials", 6th ACM International Conference on Nanoscale Computing and Communication (NanoCom), 2019
Filip Lemic, Johann Marquez-Barja, Jeroen Famaey, "Modeling and Reducing Idling Energy Consumption in Energy Harvesting Terahertz Nanonetworks", IEEE Global Communications Conference (GlobeCom), 2019
Konstantinos Kousias, Giuseppe Caso, Özgü Alay, and Filip Lemic, "Empirical Analysis of LoRaWAN Adaptive Data Rate for Mobile Internet of Things Applications", 11th ACM Wireless of the Students, by the Students, and for the Students (S3) Workshop at 25th ACM Annual International Conference on Mobile Computing and Networking (MobiCom), 2019
Editorials, Conference and Workshop Organisation
- General co-chair of the 1st ACM International Workshop on Nanoscale Computing, Communication, and Applications (ACM NanoCoCoA 2020), in conjunction with the 18th ACM Conference on Embedded Networked Sensor Systems (ACM SenSys'20), 2020
- Review editor at Frontiers' Non-Conventional Communications and Networks [2020-2021]
- Guest editor at MDPI's Electronics special issue on Nanonetworking Communications [2020-2021]
- Special session co-chair at ACM International Conference on Nanoscale Computing and Communication (ACM NanoCom 2020)
- Workshop co-chair at IEEE International Conference on Sensing, Communication and Networking (IEEE SECON 2020)
Technical Program Committee Membership
- IEEE Global Communications Conference (GLOBECOM'20)
- ACM International Conference on Nanoscale Computing and Communication (NanoCom'20)
- IEEE ICC Workshop on Terahertz Communications (TeraCom'20)
- IEEE ICC Workshop on Advances in Network Localization and Navigation (ANLN'20)
- IEEE INFOCOM Workshop on Ultra-High Broadband Terahertz Communication for 5G and Beyond Networks (UBTCN’19)
- IEEE ICC Workshop on Advances in Network Localization and Navigation (ANLN'19)
Reviewing Activities - Journals
- IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications 
- IEEE Transactions on NanoBioscience 
- Elsevier Nano Communication Networks 
- IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications [2019-2020]
- IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology [2019-2020]
- IEEE Internet of Things Journal [2018-2020]
- IEEE Access [2019-2020]
- IEEE Networking Letters 
- MDPI Sensors [2018-2019]
Reviewing Activities - Conferences
- IEEE Conference on Network Softwarization (NetSoft), 2020
- IEEE Consumer Communications and Networking Conference (CCNC), 2020
- IEEE International Symposium on a World of Wireless, Mobile and Multimedia Networks (WoWMoM), 2019
- IEEE International Symposium on Personal, Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications (PIMRC), 2019
External Expert Review
- Smart Manufacturing Advanced Research Training for Industry (SMART 4.0) 
- Digital Innovation Hub Healthcare Robotics (DIH-HERO) 
- Digital Technologies, Advanced Robotics and Increased Cyber-security for Agile Production in Future European Manufacturing Ecosystems (TRINITY) 
- European SMEs Robotic Applications 
- European Commission 
- Icelandic Research Fund 
Statuut & functies
Bijzonder academisch personeel
- postdoctoraal bursaal