From Oct 2019 until Apr 2020, I will be doing a research stay at the Terahertz Wireless Communications (TWC) laboratory hosted by Prof. Chong Han. The TWC lab is a part of the University of Michigan - Shanghai Jiao Tong University Joint Institute (UM-SJTU JI) in Shanghai, China. The main goal of my research stay is to develop accurate channel models for in-body terahertz nanoscale propagation. An additional goal is to extend the IDLab’s collaboration network by initiating long-term research and student exchange agendas with UM-SJTU JI, especially with the TWC lab. My research stay is supported by the FWO grant for a long stay abroad.
Filip Lemic received his BSc and MSc in electrical engineering from the University of Zagreb, Croatia in 2010 and 2012, respectively. In 2017, he obtained his PhD (magna cum laude) at the Telecommunication Networks Group (TKN) of the Technische Universität Berlin, Germany. In 2014, he was awarded a three-years long Young Scientists' scholarship by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD). He was a visiting researcher at the Qualcomm Ubiquitous SWARM Lab and Berkeley Wireless Research Center (BWRC) of the University of California, Berkeley, US in 2015 and 2016, respectively. His research stay was supported by the UC Berkeley's stipend for visiting scholars. In 2018, he took a short break from the academia and joined FIWARE Foundation as a senior research engineer and technology consultant. Currently, he is a post-doctoral researcher at the Internet Technology and Data Science Lab (IDLab) of the University of Antwerp, Belgium. He is also a senior researcher at the imec research institute. He has co-authored more than 40 peer-reviewed scientific papers. He has been involved in a number of international research projects, notably EU EVARILOS, EU eWine, NIST's PerfLoc, and UC Berkeley's beyond-5G (xG).
His research interests include context and location-aware, mmWave, THz, sub-GHz, battery-less, and opportunistic communication, as well as testbed infrastructures and performance evaluation in wireless networks.
- January 2020 - Paper accepted at IEEE WCNC 2020!
- November 2019 - I will be serving as workshop co-chair at IEEE SECON 2020!
- November 2019 - FWO grant for a long stay abroad approved!
- September 2019 - Paper accepted at IEEE CCNC 2020!
- August 2019 - Paper accepted at IEEE IoT Journal!
- August 2019 - Paper accepted at S3 Workshop of ACM Mobicom 2019!
- August 2019 - Paper accepted at IEEE Globecom 2019!
- July 2019 - Paper accepted at ACM NanoCom 2019!
We are offering the following master thesis / internship topics:
Filip Lemic, Chong Han, Jeroen Famaey: "Idling Energy Modeling and Reduction in Energy Harvesting Terahertz Nanonetworks for Controlling Software-Defined Metamaterials", submitted for publication, 2019
Filip Lemic, Sergi Abadal, Wouter Tavernier, Pieter Stroobant, Didier Colle, Eduard Alarcón, Johann Marquez-Barja, Jeroen Famaey: "Survey on Terahertz Nanocommunication and Networking: A Top-Down Perspective", submitted for publication, 2019
- Filip Lemic, Arash Behboodi, Jeroen Famaey, Rudolf Mathar, “Location-based Discovery and Vertical Handover in Heterogeneous Low-Power Wide-Area Networks”, IEEE Internet of Things Journal, 2019
Filip Lemic, Vlado Handziski, Michiel Aernouts, Thomas Janssen, Rafael Berkvens, Adam Wolisz, and Jeroen Famaey, "Regression-based Estimation of Individual Errors in Fingerprinting Localization", IEEE Access, 2019
Giuseppe Caso, Luca De Nardis, Filip Lemic, Vlado Handziski, Adam Wolisz, and Maria-Gabriella Di Benedetto, "ViFi: Virtual Fingerprinting WiFi-based Indoor Positioning via Multi-Wall Multi-Floor Propagation Model", IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, 2019
Filip Lemic, Jeroen Famaey, "Artificial Neural Network-based Estimation of Individual Localization Errors in Fingerprinting", IEEE Consumer Communications & Networking Conference (CCNC), 2020
Serena Santi, Filip Lemic, Jeroen Famaey, "On the Feasibility of Location-based Discovery and Vertical Handover in IEEE 802.11ah", IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference (WCNC), 2020
Filip Lemic, Vlado Handziski, Jeroen Famaey, "Toward Regression-based Estimation of Localization Errors in Fingerprinting-based Localization", 89th IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC-Spring), 2019
Filip Lemic, Raja Usman Akbar, Johann Marquez-Barja, Jeroen Famaey, "Assessing the Reliability of Energy Harvesting Terahertz Nanonetworks for Controlling Software-Defined Metamaterials", 6th ACM International Conference on Nanoscale Computing and Communication (NanoCom), 2019
Filip Lemic, Johann Marquez-Barja, Jeroen Famaey, "Modeling and Reducing Idling Energy Consumption in Energy Harvesting Terahertz Nanonetworks", IEEE Global Communications Conference (GlobeCom), 2019
Konstantinos Kousias, Giuseppe Caso, Özgü Alay, and Filip Lemic, "Empirical Analysis of LoRaWAN Adaptive Data Rate for Mobile Internet of Things Applications", 11th ACM Wireless of the Students, by the Students, and for the Students (S3) Workshop at 25th ACM Annual International Conference on Mobile Computing and Networking (MobiCom), 2019
Technical Program Committee Membership
- ACM International Conference on Nanoscale Computing and Communication (NanoCom'20)
- IEEE ICC Workshop on Terahertz Communications (TeraCom'20)
- IEEE INFOCOM Workshop on Ultra-High Broadband Terahertz Communication for 5G and Beyond Networks (UBTCN’19)
- IEEE ICC Workshop on Advances in Network Localization and Navigation (ANLN'19)
Reviewing Activities - Journals
- IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications 
- IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology 
- IEEE Internet of Things Journal [2018-2019]
- IEEE Access 
- IEEE Networking Letters 
- MDPI Sensors [2018-2019]
Reviewing Activities - Conferences
- IEEE Consumer Communications and Networking Conference (CCNC), 2020
- IEEE International Symposium on a World of Wireless, Mobile and Multimedia Networks (WoWMoM), 2019
- IEEE International Symposium on Personal, Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications (PIMRC), 2019
External Expert Review
- European Commission 
- Icelandic Research Fund 
- European SMEs Robotic Applications