Filip Lemic received his B.Sc. and M.Sc. in electrical engineering and information technology from the University of Zagreb, Croatia in 2010 and 2012, respectively. In 2017, he received his Ph.D. (magna cum laude) from the Telecommunication Networks Group (TKN) of the Technische Universität Berlin (TU Berlin), Germany. In 2014, he was awarded a three-years long Young Scientists' scholarship by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD). He was a visiting researcher at the Qualcomm Ubiquitous SWARM Lab and Berkeley Wireless Research Center (BWRC) of the University of California at Berkeley (UC Berkeley), USA in 2015 and 2016, respectively. His research stay was supported by the UC Berkeley's stipend for visiting scholars. In 2018, he took a short break from the academia and joined FIWARE Foundation as a senior research engineer and technology consultant. Currently, he is a Marie Curie postdoctoral researcher at the Internet Technology and Data Science Lab (IDLab) of the University of Antwerpen, Belgium. He is also a senior researcher at the imec research institute. In 2019, he did a research stay at the Terahertz Wireless Communications (TWC) Lab of the University of Michigan - Shanghai Jiao Tong University Joint Institute (UM-SJTU JI), China, supported by the Research Foundation Flanders (FWO). He has co-authored more than 40 peer-reviewed scientific papers and has been involved in a number of international research projects, notably EU EVARILOS, EU eWine, NIST's PerfLoc, and UC Berkeley's beyond-5G (xG).
His research interests include context and location-aware, mmWave, THz, sub-GHz, battery-less, and opportunistic (nano)communication and networking, as well as testbed infrastructures and performance evaluation in wireless networks.
- April 2020 - I will be serving as co-editor at MDPI's Electronics special issue on Nanonetworking Communications!
- March 2020 - I will be serving as special session co-chair at ACM NanoCom'20!
- February 2020 - MSCA IF fellowship approved!
- February 2020 - Paper accepted at IEEE JETCAS!
- January 2020 - University Research Fund (BOF) grant approved!
- January 2020 - Paper accepted at IEEE WCNC 2020!
- November 2019 - I will be serving as workshop co-chair at IEEE SECON 2020!
- November 2019 - FWO grant for a long stay abroad approved!
- September 2019 - Paper accepted at IEEE CCNC 2020!
- August 2019 - Paper accepted at IEEE IoT Journal!
- August 2019 - Paper accepted at S3 Workshop of ACM Mobicom 2019!
- August 2019 - Paper accepted at IEEE Globecom 2019!
- July 2019 - Paper accepted at ACM NanoCom 2019!
We are offering the following master thesis / internship topics:
Filip Lemic, Chong Han, Jeroen Famaey: "Idling Energy Modeling and Reduction in Energy Harvesting Terahertz Nanonetworks for Controlling Software-Defined Metamaterials", IEEE Journal on Emerging and Selected Topics in Circuits and Systems, 2020
Filip Lemic, Sergi Abadal, Wouter Tavernier, Pieter Stroobant, Didier Colle, Eduard Alarcón, Johann Marquez-Barja, Jeroen Famaey: "Survey on Terahertz Nanocommunication and Networking: A Top-Down Perspective", submitted for publication, 2019
- Filip Lemic, Arash Behboodi, Jeroen Famaey, Rudolf Mathar, “Location-based Discovery and Vertical Handover in Heterogeneous Low-Power Wide-Area Networks”, IEEE Internet of Things Journal, 2019
Filip Lemic, Vlado Handziski, Michiel Aernouts, Thomas Janssen, Rafael Berkvens, Adam Wolisz, and Jeroen Famaey, "Regression-based Estimation of Individual Errors in Fingerprinting Localization", IEEE Access, 2019
Giuseppe Caso, Luca De Nardis, Filip Lemic, Vlado Handziski, Adam Wolisz, and Maria-Gabriella Di Benedetto, "ViFi: Virtual Fingerprinting WiFi-based Indoor Positioning via Multi-Wall Multi-Floor Propagation Model", IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, 2019
Filip Lemic, Sergi Abadal, Jeroen Famaey, "Toward Localization in Terahertz-Operating Energy Harvesting Software-Defined Metamaterials: Context Analysis", submitted for publication, 2020
Yongzhi Wu, Filip Lemic, Chong Han, Zhi Chen, "A Non-Uniform Multi-Wideband OFDM System for Terahertz Joint Communication and Sensing", submitted for publication, 2020
Jakob Struye, Filip Lemic, Jeroen Famaey, "Towards Ultra-Low-Latency mmWave Wi-Fi for Multi-User Interactive Virtual Reality", submitted for publication, 2020
Tobia De Koninck, Serena Santi, Jeroen Famaey, Filip Lemic, "Experimental Validation of IEEE 802.11ah Propagation Models in Heterogeneous Smarty City Environments", submitted for publication, 2020
Filip Lemic, Jeroen Famaey, "Artificial Neural Network-based Estimation of Individual Localization Errors in Fingerprinting", IEEE Consumer Communications & Networking Conference (CCNC), 2020
Serena Santi, Filip Lemic, Jeroen Famaey, "On the Feasibility of Location-based Discovery and Vertical Handover in IEEE 802.11ah", IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference (WCNC), 2020
Filip Lemic, Vlado Handziski, Jeroen Famaey, "Toward Regression-based Estimation of Localization Errors in Fingerprinting-based Localization", 89th IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC-Spring), 2019
Filip Lemic, Raja Usman Akbar, Johann Marquez-Barja, Jeroen Famaey, "Assessing the Reliability of Energy Harvesting Terahertz Nanonetworks for Controlling Software-Defined Metamaterials", 6th ACM International Conference on Nanoscale Computing and Communication (NanoCom), 2019
Filip Lemic, Johann Marquez-Barja, Jeroen Famaey, "Modeling and Reducing Idling Energy Consumption in Energy Harvesting Terahertz Nanonetworks", IEEE Global Communications Conference (GlobeCom), 2019
Konstantinos Kousias, Giuseppe Caso, Özgü Alay, and Filip Lemic, "Empirical Analysis of LoRaWAN Adaptive Data Rate for Mobile Internet of Things Applications", 11th ACM Wireless of the Students, by the Students, and for the Students (S3) Workshop at 25th ACM Annual International Conference on Mobile Computing and Networking (MobiCom), 2019
Editorials, Conference and Workshop Organisation
- Co-editor at MDPI's Electronics special issue on Nanonetworking Communications [2020-2021]
- Special session co-chair at ACM International Conference on Nanoscale Computing and Communication (ACM NanoCom 2020)
- Workshop co-chair at IEEE International Conference on Sensing, Communication and Networking (IEEE SECON 2020)
Technical Program Committee Membership
- IEEE Global Communications Conference (GLOBECOM'20)
- ACM International Conference on Nanoscale Computing and Communication (NanoCom'20)
- IEEE ICC Workshop on Terahertz Communications (TeraCom'20)
- IEEE ICC Workshop on Advances in Network Localization and Navigation (ANLN'20)
- IEEE INFOCOM Workshop on Ultra-High Broadband Terahertz Communication for 5G and Beyond Networks (UBTCN’19)
- IEEE ICC Workshop on Advances in Network Localization and Navigation (ANLN'19)
Reviewing Activities - Journals
- IEEE Transactions on NanoBioscience 
- Elsevier Nano Communication Networks 
- IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications 
- IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology [2019-2020]
- IEEE Internet of Things Journal [2018-2019]
- IEEE Access [2019-2020]
- IEEE Networking Letters 
- MDPI Sensors [2018-2019]
Reviewing Activities - Conferences
- IEEE Conference on Network Softwarization (NetSoft), 2020
- IEEE Consumer Communications and Networking Conference (CCNC), 2020
- IEEE International Symposium on a World of Wireless, Mobile and Multimedia Networks (WoWMoM), 2019
- IEEE International Symposium on Personal, Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications (PIMRC), 2019
External Expert Review
- Digital Technologies, Advanced Robotics and Increased Cyber-security for Agile Production in Future European Manufacturing Ecosystems (TRINITY) 
- European SMEs Robotic Applications 
- European Commission 
- Icelandic Research Fund