2014-current: Assistant Academic Personnel, University of Antwerp
- In concurrence with PhD in Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Antwerp
- Courses Pharmaceutical Sciences: Bachelor thesis partim I: writing a popular scientific work (1st Ba), Pharmaceutical microbiology: practical course (2nd Ba), Industry game: European pharmacopeia practical course (1st Ma)
- Courses Veterinary sciences: Microbiology: practical course (3rd Ba)
- Courses Biomedical sciences: General microbiology: practical course (3rd Ba)
- Courses Erasmus LIVE vaccination Master: Description and variability of pathogens: practical course (1st Ma)
- Other tasks: grading papers, preparing exams, guiding students…
2014-current: PhD in Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Antwerp
- Member of the Educational Committee of Pharmaceutical Sciences
- Several Antwerp Doctoral School courses (Achieving your goals and performing more successfully in your PhD, Applied communications, Word: Long documents)
2009-2014: Master in Pharmaceutical Sciences: Drug Development, University of Antwerp
- Research stay: Norwegian University of Life Sciences (NMBU), Oslo, Norway
- Thesis: Microscopic identification of Eimeria spp. in blue wildebeest (Connochaetes taurinus) in Mikumi National Park, Tanzania
2016 – 2017: Laboratory animal Science
- Belgian C certificate ‘Proefleider’
2015-2016: ECHO course for starting teaching assistants
- Student management, grading of papers, project guidance…
- Cools F, Torfs E, Vanoutte B, Bidart de Macedo M, Bonofiglio L, Mollerach M, Maes L, Caljon G, Delputte P, Cappoen D, Cos P. Streptococcus pneumoniae galU gene mutation has a direct effect on biofilm growth, adherence and phagocytosis in vitro and pathogenicity in vivo. Pathog Dis. 2018;76(7)Doi: 10.1093/femspd/fty069.
- Torfs E, Vajs J, de Macedo MB, Cools F, Vanhoutte B, Forbanev Y, Bogaerts A, Verschaeve L, Caljon G, Maes L, Delputte P, Cos P, Košmrlj J, Cappoen D. Synthesis and in vitro investigation of halogenated 1,3-bis(4-nitrophenyl)triazenide salts as antitubercular compounds. Chem Biol Drug Des. 2018;91(2):631-640.
- de Macedo MB, Kimmel R, Urankar D, Gazvoda M, Peixoto A, Cools F, Torfs E, Verschaeve L, Lima ES, Lyčka A, Milćević D, Klásek A, Cos P, Kafka S, Košmrlj J, Cappoen D. Design, synthesis and antitubercular potency of 4-hydroxyquinolin-2(1H)-ones. Eur J Med Chem. 2017;138:491-500. Doi:10.1016/ejmech.2017.06.061.
- Vanhoutte B, Cappoen D, Bidart de Macedo M, Cools F, Torfs E, Coenye T, Martinet W, Caljon G, Maes L, Delputte P. Optimization and valudation of a murine lung infection model for the evaluation of novel therapeutics against Burkholderia cenocepacia. J Microbiol Methods. 2017;139:181-188. Doi:10.1016/j.mimet.2017.06.003.
- Van Acker H, Gielis J, Acke M, Cools F, Cos P, Coenye T. The Role of Reactive Oxygen Species in Antibiotic-Induced Cell Death in Burkholderia cepacia Complex Bacteria. Kaufmann GF, ed. PLoS One. 2016;11(7):e0159837. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0159837.
- Debenham JJ, Cools F, Midtgaard F, Robertson LJ. Five Species of Coccidia (Apicomplexa: Eimeriidae), Including Four New Species, Identified in the Feces of Blue Wildebeest ( Connochaetes taurinus ) in Mikumi National Park, Tanzania. J Parasitol. 2016;102(2):233-238. doi:10.1645/15-852.
- Cools F, Cappoen D, Torfs E, Bidart de Macedo M, Vanhoutte B, Cos P. Galleria mellonella as an alternative in vivo model for streptococcal virulence studies and antimicrobial drug screening. Presentation at the Belgian Society for Microbiology conference: Current Highlights in Microbiology, 20/10/2017, Brussels, Belgium.
- Cools F, Vanhoutte B, Torfs E, Bidart de Macedo M, Bonofiglio L, Cappoen D, Mollerach M, Cos P. Evaluation of UTP-glucose-1-phosphate uridylyltransferase (UDPG:PP) as a potential novel drug target in Streptococcus pneumoniae. Presentation at the Federation of European Microbiology Societies congress, 9/7/2017 – 13/7/2017, Valencia, Spain.
- Cools F, Torfs E, Vanhoutte B, Cappoen D, Bonofiglio L, Mollerach M, Cos P. Functional characterization of Streptococcus pneumoniae galU knockout strains: Could the enzyme UDPG:PP be a novel antimicrobial target? Presentation at the Belgian Society for Microbiology and Belgian Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology conference: Microbiome and Host Metabolism, 28/11/2016, Brussels, Belgium.
- Optimization and Characterization of a Galleria mellonella Larval Infection Model for Virulence Studies and the Evaluation of Therapeutics against Streptococcus pneumoniae. Presentation at the Faculty Research Day of Pharmacy, Biomedical Sciences and Veterinary Sciences, 26/10/2018, Antwerp, Belgium.
- The effect of a UDPG:PP mutation in S. pneumoniae on streptococcal pathogenicity. Presentation at the Departmental Research Day of Pharmaceutical Sciences, 09/05/2018, Antwerp, Belgium.
- The effect of a UDPG:PP mutation in S. pneumoniae on cellular interactions an in vivo virulence using a G. mellonella infection model. Presentation at the FWO Research Community “Biology and Ecology of Bacterial & Fungal Human Biofilms”: 4th Workshop on Bacterial and Fungal Biofilms, 23/11/2017, Leuven, Belgium.
AWARDS & GRANTS
- FEMS Congress Grant for Early Career Scientists. 7th FEMS Congress of European Microbiologists. 09/07/2017-13/07/2017, Valencia, Spain.