Onchocerciasis-Associated Epilepsy (OAE)
12 - 14 October 2017
UAntwerp - Stadscampus - Grauwzusters Cloister - Lange SInt-Annastraat 7 - 2000 Antwerpen
International conference on nodding syndrome
This conference will bring together researchers and organisations involved in ochocerciasis control and research and those involved in the treatment and research of epilepsy.
The Global Health Institute of the University of Antwerp has the great pleasure to invite you to the first International workshop on ochocerciasis-associated epilepsy (OAE) held in Antwerp (Belgium) on 12-14 October 2017.
High prevalence of Nodding syndrome (NS) and other types of epileptic seizures have been reported in many onchocerciasis endemic regions in Africa for decades. To improve the quality of life of affected patients and families there is an urgent need to unravel the relationship between these epileptic disorders and onchocerciasis (river blindness), and to design treatment and prevention strategies. Furthermore, organisations and researchers involved in ochocerciasis control/research and those involved in treatment/research of epilepsy need to join forces.
Target group of OAE 2017
- onchocerciasis, epilepsy and public health experts/scientists from the North and the South;
- advocacy groups, health care workers, Ministries of Health, non-governmental organisations, the pharmaceutical industry, WHO, funding organisations;
- Master students, PhD students and post-docs with an interest in global health, tropical diseases and health systems.
Objectives of OAE 2017
- assemble OAE-experts and stakeholders from the North and the South;
- disseminate and share knowledge and reseach results about OAE;
- identify the pathophysiological mechanism causing OAE;
- develop an OAE case definition for surveillance and research;
- develop collaborative research projects and guidelines to prevent and treat OAE;
- establish the burden of disease caused by OAE;
- develop/update OAE research priorities.
Expected results of OAE 2017
- an OAE alliance between stakeholders with different backgrounds but with a common interest and commitment to address important research questions about OAE and to improve the quality of life of patients and families affected by OAE.
- an OAE policy plan.
There are no registration fees to attend the workshop, but online registration for plenary presentations and working groups is mandatory. The deadline for online registration is 1 September 2017.
Contact email: email@example.com
+32 3 265 26 48