At the start of this course the student should have acquired the following competences:
- competences corresponding the final attainment level of secondary school
an active knowledge of
The professor's lecture notes for this class are written in Dutch. The material of this class is covered in standard calculus text books, i.e., for additional reading, passive knowledge of English is useful.
specific prerequisites for this course
For most of the topics in this course, no explicit prerequisites are required, in view of the fact that they will be built up from scratch. However, it is desired that the student has a certain familiarity with the notions and concepts that were taught at secondary school. In particular, students are required to exhibit specific skills related to the following mathematical methods that were considered at secondary level:
- Logic and the systematics of a mathematical proof.
- Being able to calculate with real numbers, and to deal with polynomials in a finite number of variables.
- Factoring polynomials.
- Solving elementary equations and inequalities.
- Being able to handle functions of first and second degree.
- Newton's binomial formula.
- Solving linear systems of equations (in 2 and 3 variables).