During the course you will perform experiments on different topics in plant physiology, animal physiology and general biochemistry, in teams of two or three students. You will learn about analytical biochemistry, how to perform experiments with biological materials, and to report on your findings. You will also learn how to design succesful and meaningful experiments.
Examples of lab course experiments that are performed:
- plasmolysis of red onion epidermal cells ;
- determination of lipids and carbohydrates in muscle and liver tissue ;
- osmoregulation in humans ;
- isolation and separation of plant pigments ;
- effect of mineral nutrition on plant development ;
- enzymatic activity during seed germination ;
- gel electrophoresis of plant proteins.