In this module the necessity of and the handling of EBM principles are teached.
- What is evidence based medicine and how is this developed?
- Basic notions of evidence based medicine: calculation of effect or outcome measures, hard end
points, biomarkers, effect size.
- Asking for the right questions: to draw up a clinical question following a PICO scheme
- Searching and selecting of literature, to focus on Cochrane Library and guidelines.
- Judge critically articles with different designs - including systematic reviews and qualitative research- on the basis of appraisal lists.
- How to apply evidence on patients: generalising, individualizing, what if there is no evidence
- Guidelines and recommendations: how to judge them on quality, how to use them ?
- Evidence based medicine, evidence made medicine and evidence based practice.
- Difficulties in EBM: class effect, end points applied by regulatory bodies.