This course introduces some basic but important concepts of the theory of crystalline solids, with a strong emphasis on the electronic and vibrational properties. The need of a quantum mechanical description of many of the introduced phenomena is demonstrated. The students will master the introduced concepts by solving simple problems.
The following topics are discussed :
1. Crystal structure : basic concepts from crystallography.
2. Brillouin zones
3. Crystal binding
4. Introduction to the theory of elasticity
5. Lattice vibrations, phonons
6. Free electron Fermi gas.
7. Energy bands : Bloch theorem, band gap, ...
8. Insulators, semiconductors, metals
9. Transport propertties in semiconductors
11. Plasmons, polaritons