At the start of this course the student should have acquired the following competences:
- competences corresponding the final attainment level of secondary school
an active knowledge of
a passive knowledge of
The student is able to understand the scientific literature regarding biomechanics that is provided during the course.
- general knowledge of the use of a PC and the Internet
general notion of the basic concepts of
The student is able to work in Microsoft Excel to enter numbers, perform calculations and make graphs.
specific prerequisites for this course
- The student is able to apply the mathematical concepts of vector algebra, trigonometry and linear algebry.
- The student knows the difference between vectors and scalars.
- The student can define the quantities and the SI units that belang to the domain of the mechanics.
- The student can explain the concepts of accuracy, precision and measurement error.
- The student can describe the kinematics of linear motion as well as motion in 2D and 3D.
- The student can reproduce Newton's Laws of Motion.
- The student can provide a definition for the moment of force and the moment arm.
- The student can define the law of conservation of energy
- The student can reproduce the 3 types of mechanical energy and provide a definition.
- The student can explain the relation between work and energy that is described by the work-energy theorem.