At the start of this course the student should have acquired the following competences:
- competences corresponding the final attainment level of secondary school
an active knowledge of
a passive knowledge of
- general knowledge of the use of a PC and the Internet
specific prerequisites for this course
Students must be familiar with the concepts and terminology of:
1. Theory of probability and simple statistical tests.
2. The structure of nucleic acids, DNA replication, and the structure of prokaryotic and eukaryotic chromosomes
3. Gene expression on a molecular level (transcription, RNA processing, translation)
4. Gene regulation (regulation of transcription, RNA processing, translation)
5. General biochemistry (enzymology, metabolism) and cell biology (structure of a cell)
6. Genetic technology (gene cloning, DNA libraries, polymerase chain reaction, dideoxy DNA sequencing).