This course explores a number of central themes in the philosophy of music, centered around the following questions:
- Is music a language?
- Can music generate knowledge?
- Is music a symbol?
- What is the relation between music and the emotions?
- What is the meaning of absolute music?
- How can we understand the musical experience philosophically?
- What is music's role in society?
- What is the ontological nature of the musical work?
- How does a performer relate to musical works?
- What does 'authenticity' amount to in music?
Answers to these questions are sought by reading historical and contemporary core texts of the philosophy of music.