The course analyses economic policy from the perspective of various objectives (employment, economic growth, price stability, etc.) and tools (monetary policy, fiscal policy, labour market policy, microeconomic policy, etc.).
Economic policy is also placed in a political and institutional context.
The following topics are dealt with:
- Role and significance of government in the economy;
- Controversies in economic policy;
- Objectives and tools of economic policy;
- Political parties, interest groups and political cycles;
- Monetary politics and central banking;
- Financial stability, the financial crisis and the eurozone crisis;
- Fiscal policy and political institutions;
- International financial integration and exchange rate policies
- Employment policies and political economy of labour market reforms.