Part 'Experimental design':
- In the first part of this course, the key principles and usefulness of DOE (Design of Experiments) will be treated. Next, the terms full factorial and fractional factorial designs will be introduced, in order for us to finish with central composite designs (RSM/Response Surface Modelling).
- During the excersises, emphasis will be on the systematical approach that counts for DOE (screening), followed by a search for interaction between different parameters, in order to apply RSM and predict the best functioning point of a (bio)chemical process.
- Principles and application of linear regression, focussed on (bio)chemical excersises will be highlighted.
- Principles and application of analysis of variance, focussed on (bio)chemical excersises will be treated.
- Matlab is used for all calculations.
Part 'international study trip'
A field trip of 5-6 days to an appropriate foreign destination will be organised. During this trip, (bio)chemical companies will be visited, and students will experience the international nature of our society through cultural activities.
Students are obliged to take part in this field trip. If a student is prevented from participating, this has to be thoroughly motivated. In the case of non-participation, students will receive an alternative assignment in order to ensure the learning outcomes of this course. This assignment has to be carried out in small groups, and consists of organising and reporting a visit to a (bio)chemical company in Flanders that has an international character.