The student investigates an advanced technical-scientific problem which contains the following items: organization and preparation of the master thesis, literary investigation and practical execution. He/she has the possibility to conduct the master thesis in a company/organisation or in a researchgroup within the University.
The assignment of the master thesis may vary between a literary study, a research topic, the realization of a design, the simulation and optimization of a process, the development of propositions for process improvements to setting up an environmental caring system. The student makes a portfolio that contains the following elements:
- data showing that the student has a good approach to come to a technical realization, with emphasis on research skills and research planning.
- data/reports that show that the student has gone well through the processl, with attention to the technical realization of it and teamwork.
- He/she writes a report that complies with the scientific norms considering content and format, with i.e. the following elements: Problem statement, research methods, data collection and processing, results, conclusions and references.
- The student presents his/her results orally to a professional jury and is capable to answer questions about it.
The student follows Academic Writing given by Linguapolis. The training focuses on writing an abstract or paper in correct formal English according to the academic conventions. The training offers students the necessary background information, builds in practice moments and provides individual feedback on an abstract or paper fragment. In this way students get the necessary tools to learn to recognize and correct their own mistakes, which increases the quality of their abstract or paper.
The lessons are structured as follows:
• 3 input sessions of 2 hours on paper build-up, phrases and conventions
• 2 practice sessions of 2 hours on grammar, vocabulary, Dutchisms
• 1 coaching session of 2 hours on the typical errors from the student abstracts / papers