In this course all medicinal compounds available on the market will be discussed, together with the newest trends. The medicinal compounds are classified by their mode of action. This classification is chemically logical and gives a better understanding of the structure-activity relationship and the mode of action on the molecular level.
For each drug class the following properties will be discussed :
· Short introduction (repetition) of the target ical system.
· The chemical properties of the drug and their influence on their use as a drug : e.g. solubility, stability, three-dimensional structure, electronic properties...
· The development of the final drug from the lead compound.
· Structure-activity relationship
· Mode of action on the molecular level (at the receptors)
· Introduction to the therapeutical use