The master project is formally split in two courses (part 1 and 2). Part 1 can already be in the first master year to allow practical work in certain field seasons or work abroad. Part 2 is always taken in the second master year. Both parts are evaluated separately and give rise to separate credits.
See guidelines on chosing subjects and criteria for evaluation on BlackBoard:
The evaluation of part 1 is based on the progress in the preparatory phase of the study and during the first research phases. To this end, explicit quantitative and qualitative criteria are fixed by the promotor. The work can comprise the following aspects:
• Literature study, resulting or not in a written text
• Developing a methodology or experimental set-up
• Acquiring technical or analytical skills
• Collecting data and constructing a database
• Analysis of already available data sets
• Basic version of a theoretical model or simulation
The evaluation of part 1 occurs minimally by means of an interview of the student by the promotor (assisted by the co-promotor and co-workers if applicable) and the assessors.