The course is divided in two parts: financial management of SMEs and juridical aspects of corporate policy.
Partim 1: Financial management of SMEs
After an introduction on the financial aspects applicable to starting a business, attention is given to the technique of bookkeeping and the content of the financial accounts. In a next step, we elaborate further on the way in which this information can be used for taking financial decisions. The following subjects will be discussed:
- analysis of the financial accounts (static and dynamic analysis);
- cost price calculation and break-even analysis;
- work out financial forecasts and draw up financial plans;
- assessment and selection of investment projects;
- demand and supply side of SME financing;
- venture capital, business angels and mezzanine financing;
- working capital management.
Partim 2: Juridical aspects of corporate policy
After a general introduction on the juridical basic concepts of corporate policy, attention is given to the most important aspects of commercial law, corporate law and fiscal law. The following subjects will be discussed:
- overview of the pros and cons of several legal forms of an organization;
- introduction to the trade practices act;
- introduction to contract law;
- introduction to corporate tax and VAT.
The classes will be organized in an interactive way. Exercises and case studies should lead to an increase of the students’ capacity to apply the knowledge (concepts and techniques) in a real life context. The students need to work out and present a number of group tasks.