7.1 Required reading
1. Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse-Five (Dell)
2. E.L. Doctorow, Ragtime (Penguin Modern Classics)
3. Jennifer Egan, Manhattan Beach (Corsair)
4. Colson Whitehead, The Underground Railroad
5. Colson Whitehead, The Nickel Boys
Note: the correct editions of the novels are available from De Groene Waterman (Wolstraat 10). In order to avoid problems in class, it is absolutely necessary to have the correct edition.
7.2 Optional reading
The following study material can be studied voluntarily :
Jerome de Groot, The Historical Novel (Routledge, New Critical Idiom, 2010).