During the 2nd master year, the student starts the scientific research that is set up in the 1st master year (see Master's thesis 1), i.e. processing feedback on the research protocol, learning research methods and collecting first data (possibly pilot study). The student is supervised by a supervisor who at least holds a PhD, is affiliated with the University of Antwerp and is a member of the clinical service / research group where their scientific research takes place.
For the evaluation, the student is expected to write a progress report that consists of:
1) A separate document with point by point response to all comments, questions and suggestions in the feedback on the research protocol (see Master's thesis 1)
2) A text based on a supplemented and possibly modified research protocol (master thesis 1) of a maximum of 10 pages (including tables and figures), interline 1 and font size 10 with references in Vancouver style and the following layout:
- Introduction (leading to the relevant research question)
- Objective (leading to the domain and the research object)
- Methodology (study design, data collection, analysis)
- Results (provisional, including figures and tables)
- Discussion (SWOT analysis and feedback on rationale and relevance)
- References (Vancouver style)
At the start of the scientific internship, the student must describe his/her work during an oral presentation of 7 minutes in front of a jury and defend it during 3 minutes of discussion. The presentation must be submitted 1 day in advance at the medicine secretariat (at email@example.com). During the discussion, the jury may ask about the way in which the student has processed the feedback on the research protocol. The logbook is available for inspection during the presentation.
At the start of the scientific internship, the student must also submit an internship plan. This describes the scientific activities that will take place during the internship within the framework of the master's thesis. The scientific internship is assessed by the promoter (and supervisor (s)).