Diseases are often the result of the complex interaction between environmental and genetic factors. This will be illustrated by case studies which provide insight in biological responses of tissues and organs to chemical or physical insults..
· Diseases of the respiratory tract including asthma and COPD as a consequence of exposure to chemicals.
· Effects of exposure to chemical and physical factors on reproduction and early development. Sensitive developmental stages. Environmental factors, fetal programming and the developmental origin of health and disease.
· Liver as the major metabolising organ of xenobiotics. Changes in liverfunction and diseases associated with chemical exposures.
· Environmental chemicals and kidney diseases
· The environmental component of neurological and neurodegenerative diseases
§ Chemical exposures and their influence on immune responses, in relation with immune diseases including allergies, autoimmunity and inmmunosuppression.
· Chemical exposure and effects on the gastro-intestinal system
· Cancer and environmental factors
An overview is given on the diagnosis and treatment of poisoning.