- Unit 1: Research in a development context (2 ECTS – compulsory).
- Unit 2: Design and methodology in development research (incl. validity) (2 ECTS – compulsory).
Content description per unit
Unit 1: Research in a Development Context
- Knowledge and research in development arenas.
- Epistemology of research and research paradigms: debate on quantitative /qualitative / mixed method research and (post-)positivist, critical theoretical and constructivist research(er) positions .
- Research and researcher ethics.
- Choice of research methods.
- General introduction into issues of reliability and validity in academic research.
- Research process and academic writing skills, literature & data research and library use.
Unit 2: Design and methodology in development research (incl. validity)
- Quantitative research
- Steps in quantitative research design and an overview of different quantitative methodologies and data collection instruments.
- External validity issues, including probability sampling and an introduction to statistical inference and hypothesis testing.
- Internal validity issues, including differences between correlation and causation and measurement error:
- Qualitative research
- Steps in qualitative research design and overview of research techniques and data collection instruments.
- Sampling and selection.
- Validity in qualitative research.