More specifically, following objectives are provided:
1. The student has knowledge of sociological frameworks and can apply them in educational contexts.
2. The student can analyze processes in educational contexts from various sociological paradigms.
3. The student understands explanations for the origins of inequality in education and can formulate suggestions for policy.
4. Students can interpret the life long learning trend and can formulate and explain the implications of this trend for education.
5. The student can situate developments in educational contexts in international (global) trends and developments
The fist section 'sociology of education focuses primarily on an introduction to sociology. Attention is paid to the basic sociological concepts and analytical frameworks. This background is necessary to go then deeper to sub-domain sociology of education. Here concepts are provided that allow us to understand the dynamics of the educational field. The sociological framework will be applied on two themes: inequality and lifelong learning (including the role of education in the knowledge society).
Eidhof, B., Van Houtte, M. & Vermeulen, M. (2016). Sociologen over onderwijs. Inzichten, praktijken en kritieken. Antwerpen: Garant.