Software is a pervasive technology: everybody knows Microsoft, Google and Facebook; 40% of all high tech startups in Flanders are software companies, software is a major part of the activity of many other companies. This course provides insights in the unique properties of this sector and the IT sector in general, and prepares students for a career (as entrepreneur of busines professional) in these fascinating industries.
The course is destined for students in Computer sciences and Business engineering. The 6 credit version is for TEW students.
During the lectures a/o following topics will be covered:
An introduction to concepts of technology entrepreneurship
• The history of the software and IT industries
• The market structure of the software and IT industries
• Business aspects of the software business: product management, software development management, services, maintenance and support, outsourcing
• Marketing aspects of software and IT
• Intellectual property rights and software
• Present and future developments in the software industry
• Testimonials: a number of guest speakers, active in the IT and software industry, will present their story during the sessions. Presence on these sessions is mandatory