Software is a pervasive technology: everybody knows Microsoft, Google and Facebook; 40% of all high tech startups in Flanders are software companies, software is a major part of the activity of many other companies. This course provides insights in the unique properties of this sector and the IT sector in general, and prepares students for a career (as entrepreneur of busines professional) in these fascinating industries.
The course is destined for students in Computer sciences and Business engineering. The 6 credit version is for TEW students.
During the lectures a/o following topics will be covered:
* an introduction to concepts of technology entrepreneurship
• The history of the software and IT industries
• The market structure of the software and IT industries
• Business aspects of the software business: product management, software development management, services, maintenance and support, outsourcing
• Marketing aspects of software and IT
• Intellectual property rights and software
• Present and future developments in the software industry
• Testimonials: a number of guest spêakers, active in the IT and software industry, will present their story during the sessions. Presence on these sessions is mandatory
Parts of this course may be taught jointly for other courses 'business aspects of...'