Health Insurance

All students should have adequate health insurance to cover their stay in Antwerp. Although the University of Antwerp does offer accident-liability insurance to all its students, your health insurance is not covered, so please make sure you are sufficiently insured. You can find all info on the website. If you need further info don't hestiate to reach out:

Please be advised we cannot recommend one health insurance over the other, seeing as these are paid service providers.

Opening a bank account

Holders of a European bank card should have no problem to make payments or withdraw money in Belgium. If you use a non-European bank card you might be subject to extra charges, check with your current bank at home about this. If necessary, you can open a bank account in Belgium. Another option is to use WISE (formerly TransferWise), which significantly reduces extra bank charges.

Komida student restaurants

Komida Online is your ideal help when you want to be sure your favorite dish is still avaiilable when you come to komida. You can place your order online daily and your order will be prepared and provided on the requested day in the komida of your choice.

In case of any problems with your account, please contact our catering service directly at

Residence permit

All students staying for a minimum of 90 days should apply for a residence permit upon arrival in Belgium. The only exception is students with an EU-nationality staying for only one semester, they do not have to apply for a residence permit, but are welcome to do so if they wish.

Please consult the website for more information, if you have any questions you can contact