SIG-A2 was established in 1989 at the Yokohama WCTR. Since then, the SIG had a most distinct presence in all WCTRS conferences. SIG-2 is dedicated to create a network of people involved in maritime and port activities, including academic and industry researchers, policy makers and operators.
Its targets are the following:
- Promote the exchange of ideas, methodologies, and results of maritime and port research through conferences, symposia, and regional meetings;
- Promote healthy interaction among academics, government and private sector researchers, industry executives, and policymakers on important policy, strategy, operations, and technology issues affecting maritime transport and ports;
- Organize and coordinate maritime and port sessions at the WCTRS conferences;
- Develop maritime and port research capabilities for projects of international scale requiring multidisciplinary cooperation;
- Establish good practice in the evaluation of policy instruments;
People joining the SIG-A2 activities of the WCTRS have developed over the years strong research links.