Application procedure in 4 steps
- Register in Mobility Online
- Fill in personal details and complete requested extra questions
- Wait for approval of your application
- Pay the participation fee within 10 days after approval to secure your spot
Applications can be submitted by filling in the online registration form via Mobility Online before 1 July 2021 or 30 April for participants subject to visa requirements. Applications submitted after the deadline will be considered on a case-by-case basis. After having registered, you will automatically receive an email with further guidelines to complete your application.
Upon successful submission you will receive an automatic reply to confirm your application. In case your application is accepted, you will receive an email with more practical information on payment and visa. Note that your subscription is only valid when the participation fee is received by the summer school’s secretariat.
Accepted students will be registered as regular students of the University of Antwerp and will hence receive a student account and a student card allowing them to have access to the catering facilities and the Wi-Fi network of the University of Antwerp. Furthermore, accepted students will be automatically insured under the policy of the University of Antwerp.
Universiteit Antwerpen - Faculteit BE is een erkend dienstverlener KMO-portefeuille. Erkenningsnr: DV.O 100208.
We will be
offering a hybrid format for the summer school in August. We created a hybrid format by spreading the course content over two weeks only in the afternoon sessions. This structure will give flexibility to participants from different parts of the world to attend the course.
In this hybrid format, all the sessions will be live streaming and available for everyone. The lecturers and presenters from outside Belgium will give their session online. The local presenters will take the session while being on campus including workshops.
The course fees for both hybrid and digital format are listed below.
Hybrid (attending on campus): 950 Eur
Digital: 400 Eur
Hybrid (attending on campus): 450 Eur
Digital: 150 Eur
We will be glad if you decide to come to Antwerp. If you choose a hybrid, the following activities are included in the fees.
- Welcome reception, lunches, social activities and refreshment breaks
- Live workshops
- Daily allowance (amount depending on the number of participants attending on campus)
We request you to think about all possibilities (visa, travel, stay etc.) you may have to address while submitting your application. We will take on the preparation based
on your preferences and hence request you to keep up with your preference,
which means you may not cancel your preference of taking up the hybrid course
under normal circumstances. Please note that we may choose to switch to
the digital version completely if we receive only a few preferences for the
Cancellation by the organisation
Regular policy: The organisation reserves the right to cancel the course due to a lack of interest within two weeks after the application deadline. Participants should keep this in mind when making travel arrangements. With the exception of the registration fee, no expenses will be reimbursed. Registration fees will be reimbursed as quickly as possible.
COVID-19 update: At this moment, the summer school is still scheduled to go ahead as planned. If covid-19 won’t allow us to organise a live summer school, we will switch to a digital format. Candidates will be informed of this by 1 April 2021 at the latest. Please visit our website for the latest updates.
Cancellation by the participant
Regular policy: If the participant cancels more than 4 weeks before the start of the summer school, 50% of the registration fee can be reimbursed. If the participant cancels within 4 weeks before the start of the summer school, € 100 of the registration fee will be refunded. All refunds are made in euros. The organisation cannot refund any shortfalls due to exchange rate fluctuations or bank charges.
COVID-19 update: Applicants who are unable to travel due to COVID-19 can receive a full refund of their registration fee if they can provide the following evidence:
Official communication from the visa office, Embassy or Consulate in case a visa could not be obtained due to COVID-19 regulations.
Official communication from the home institution, employer or a medical facility stating that it is not possible to travel due to COVID-19 implications.
Applicants that can’t provide such a proof will not have the fees refunded.
Two types of scholarships are available for students who are currently enrolled as regular students of the University of Antwerp.
- Refund of €150/student after attending a summer school organised at Antwerp Summer University. An overview of all eligible summer schools can be found here. Students should prefinance the full registration fee and can claim a reimbursement of the allowance after submitting a certificate of attendance and proof of payment to the Antwerp Summer University Office.
The following students qualify for this refund: University of Antwerp students regularly enrolled under a diploma contract in a Bachelor, Master, Advanced Master, Preparatory Programme, Bridging Programme or Academic Teaching Programme, in either academic year 2020-2021 or 2021-2022.
- Scholarship for a short international experience for students who qualify for financial aid by the Department of Social, Cultural and Studentaffairs (SCS) .
Please refer to Blackboard ("een internationale ervaring > beurzen") or contact the Antwerp Summer University Office (see right) for more information on these scholarships.
Attending a summer school is a low-threshold opportunity for refugees to get to know Flemish Higher Education. From summer 2018 onwards, a limited number of reduced registration fees (€100) for refugees is made available by University of Antwerp.
Admission requirements and eligibility
- The admissionrequirements for refugees with foreign pre-qualifications are the same as those for all summer school participants. Please note that each summer school has its own specific admission requirements, including prior qualifications. For details, please visit the webpage of the summer school of your preference.
- English is the languageofinstruction of all programmes within Antwerp Summer University. As active participation is compulsory in all summer schools, English proficiency in reading, speaking and writing is required.
- In order to be eligible for a reduced registration fee, the candidate should belong to one of the following categories: asylum seeker / refugee status / subsidiary protection or a family member being reunited with a refugee.
- Candidates should (have) complete(d) a studyorientationplan at Atlas. Candidates who are/have already been enrolled at a Flemish Higher Education Institution are not eligible for this reduced fee. Contact information is available on this webpage.
- Applications can be submitted by filling in the online registration form via Mobility Online. Candidates have to fill in personal details, upload some documents and complete extra specific questions per summer school.
- Depending on the category, candidates for these reduced fees have to upload (a) different document(s):
- asylum seekers
Scan of Annex 26 (issued by the Immigration Office in Brussels)
- recognised refugees:
Scan both sides residence permit
- a person receiving protection on humanitarian grounds (Dutch: subsidiair beschermde)
Scan of the letter issued by the “office of the commissioner general for refugees and stateless persons”
- a family member being reunited with a refugee
Scan of both sides of the residence permit of your family member
Proof of family composition.
- asylum seekers
- Applicationdeadlines vary between summer schools. Please refer to the webpage of your preferred summer school to find out more.
Contact and more information
- For more information on Antwerp Summer University and the application procedure, please contact Mr Wannes Gijsels (firstname.lastname@example.org or +32 32654382).
- For special information for refugees looking to study at the University of Antwerp, please visit this webpage or make an appointment with Ms Parul Goel (email@example.com or +32 3265 3191).