Educational and professional background
- Applicants must hold a Master degree or five years bachelor degree in development studies or related disciplines (economics, political science, sociology, international relations, etc.), with good study results.
- Applicants with a Bachelor degree of four years of study can be admitted in case of demonstrable equivalence with a Master degree (e.g. on the basis of the programme’s curriculum, successful attendance of relevant additional academic courses/trainings and/or relevant professional experience).
- Applicants with only a Bachelor’s degree of three years of study will not be admitted to the Advanced Master programmes. Several Bachelor’s degrees of three years are not equivalent to a Master degree. Certificates from continuing education courses are not equivalent to a Master degree.
- Applicants who obtained their University degree under the European Bologna system (see http://www.ehea.info/members.aspx), must hold a Master degree.
All of our programmes are offered in English, in which applicants must be proficient.
Applicants must submit an English language certificate:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL): minimum score of 550 for the paper-based test or 79 for the internet-based test. Information about this test is available at www.toefl.org. IOB does not accept the TOEFL ITP.
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS): minimum overall score of 6.5 and a minimum score of 6.0 on each component. Information about this test is available at www.ielts.org.
IOB does not require a language certificate from applicants from the following countries: Australia, Botswana, Canada, Cameroon (English-speaking region), Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gambia, Ghana, India, Ireland, Jamaica, Kenya, Liberia, Malawi, Namibia, New Zealand, Nigeria, Philippines, South Africa, Tanzania, Uganda, UK, USA, Zambia and Zimbabwe and Oceania..
Applicants from the following countries are required to submit a language test: all Middle East countries / all French speaking countries / all Spanish speaking countries / European and Asian countries where English is not the language of instruction at University level.
Applicants from the following countries are required to submit a language test but in case of unavailability of this test or in case of inability to take the test, they can be admitted to the Master programme provided they attend the intensive English language course offered by IOB: all Asian countries where English is the language of instruction at University level, except for India and the Philippines / Rwanda / French-speaking part of Cameroon.
Special facilities are offered for students from other language backgrounds (particularly for French- speaking students). Students with paper-based TOEFL scores between 500 and 550 (or internet-based TOEFL scores between 61 and 79) or IELTS scores between 5.5 and 6.0 may thus be admitted to the Master programme upon successful completion of an intensive two-week language course organised by the University of Antwerp. The cost of this language course will be borne by the Institute.