Integrated Water Management is one of the major challenges of the 21st century. Climate change and population growth are seriously impacting water resources, and as such water is a central issue in the sustainable development goals. Therefore, the demand for professionals with competences in integrated water management increases worldwide. The advanced master Think Water is an excellent preparation for an exciting career in research, global business, consulting or government.
How does it complements the existing offer of study programmes at master level?
Because of its specific focus on the interaction between classical technology and ecological engineering. The combination of fundamental and applied sciences makes this advanced master unique in the world.
The programme has been conceived as student-centred and competence-oriented education that is offered in a modular way.
What is the target group?
Young graduates from scientific disciplines and engineers with an interest in water technology on the one hand, and professionals who are eager to deepen their knowledge and experience on the other hand.
What is the focus of Think Water?
The study programme offers a multidisciplinary educational package in which knowledge and expertise from various disciplines is integrated: ecology and bioscience, environmental science, engineering and nautical science. More specifically the focus is on:
- the interaction between classical technology and nature-based solutions;
- thorough knowledge of the functioning of the whole water system;
- innovative and integrated solutions to all types of water management problems;
- Real life applications, projects and the many uses of our water systems through close collaboration with companies, NGO's, research institues and governments.
This will enable graduates to integrate technological and nature-based solutions into water management in various fields all over the world and as such contribute to more sustainable practices.
What are the objectives of this programme?
The advanced Master Think Water aims to equip students with the competency to understand the state-of-the-art on water technology, nature-based solutions and integrated water management.
The main objectives are:
- To advance the level scientific knowledge, skills and understanding of the students;
- Thus enabling them to function as an expert in the field with awareness of values, in the various sectors of the labour market to which the study programme grants access;
- Qualifying students to provide the society with new, original and innovative contributions and improvements, based on scientific knowledge and research and with the necessary critical attitude towards existing technologies.
The study programme continues on the final qualifications of the previously obtained master’s degree and provides the student with advanced knowledge, a critical attitude, self-reflection, practical knowledge and a research mentality.
On successful completion of this programme, students will have achieved the following competencies:
- advanced scientific understanding and knowledge of water technology, nature-based solutions and integrated water management;
- in-depth knowledge of new technologies for water use and reuse based on an integrated water resources management approach;
- knowledge and skills to select and apply relevant tools for collecting, interpreting and assessing (qualitative and quantitative) information from a variety of relevant sources on water technology and integrated water management;
- ability to assess the quality and relevance of studies performed by others;
- skills to take an active part in evaluation work him-/herself;
- ability to formulate integrated proposals as a contribution to the solution and prevention water related problems;
- skill to critically analyse policy plans, management proposals and measures for implementation and contribute to their set up;
- ability to communicate and justify solutions, strategies and opinions about water related problems and discuss them with a broad audience.