Since school years no longer apply, the university now monitors your study progress. The idea is to prevent you from incurring needless delays in your studies. You will be entered into the study progress control process if you fail to obtain credit certificates for at least 60% of the study credits taken in your programme after one year of study. At the University of Antwerp, all students taking a Bachelor, Master, bridging or preparatory programme are subject to study progress control.

How does study progress control work?

What is study progress control?

Your study progress at the University of Antwerp will be monitored over a number of years.

Academic year 1:

  • If you have earned 60% of the study credits needed for your programme by the end of the second exam period then you can continue your studies without being subject to additional conditions. If you have earned more than 60% of your study credits but still have a few gaps, then make sure that next year's study programme is not as full and resit the programme components you didn't get a credit certificate for.
  • If you have failed to obtain 60% of your programme's study credits after the second exam period in September, you will receive a warning from your faculty. The faculty will confirm that you have not acquired 60% of your programme's study credits and that you need to obtain at least 60% of next year's study credits (year 2).

Academic year 2:

  • If you earn 60% of your programme's study credits in the second academic year, you can continue your studies as normal.
  • If you fail to obtain 60% of the second year study credits, however, you will not be allowed to enrol again.

Academic year 3:

In the following year (year 3), then, you will not be permitted to enrol in the same programme, having failed to score 10 out of 20 (or a credit certificate) for at least 60% of the programme's study credits in the two previous academic years.

Who is subject to study progress control? Which enrolments and study contracts does it apply to?

All University of Antwerp students can be subjected to study progress control but it is standard for students enrolled in a Bachelor, Master, bridging or preparatory programme.  

Can you appeal if your enrolment is refused?

You can appeal against this decision with the faculty body which imposes the study progress control measures. This must be done within a given time period (i.e. five calendar days after being notified of the decision) using the correct procedure. Please read the provisions included under Article 23 of the Study and Examination Rules carefully. You can also check with your programme's ombudsman.

Are there any exceptions to these rules?

The faculty body which imposes study progress control measures can deviate from these measures under exceptional circumstances or in case of a 'force majeure'. This decision needs to be properly justified.

Need more advice?

Contact your faculty's study programme counsellor for more advice. Some study programme counsellors organise sessions at the beginning of the academic year. If you have any questions about study progress control, or if you want to discuss your options when changing programmes or dropping out, you can also talk to a student counsellor from the Study Advice and Student Counselling Service.

Why is study progress control used?

There are both risks and opportunities associated with a more flexible approach.

Since higher education in Flanders became more flexible, the school year system no longer exists. As a result, it is no longer possible to retake entire years, as was the case before. This does not mean, however, that you can enrol again and again in programmes or programme components without passing.

The learning account: the warning might be too late!

The Government of Flanders introduced the learning account system in 2008 as part of its new funding system for universities and university colleges. The system is managed entirely by the government and aims to prevent students studying too long at the community's expense. Unfortunately, students are not always aware of this. These days, we aim to warn students when the balance of their learning account is running low by means of the study progress control process and the various support measures in place at the University of Antwerp.

Special circumstances

All students are subject to study progress control, including employed students, disabled students, athletes and artists. Given these special circumstances, it is essential that these groups of students put together realistic programmes that take into account the time they have available for their studies.

If your secondary school education doesn't quite tie in with your current field of study in higher education, we recommend you put together a slightly lighter study programme for your first year at university. A full-time study programme consists of 60 study credits but you can put together study programmes with fewer credits in order to spend more time on the courses you are less prepared for. You can always talk about your options with a student counsellor from the Study Advice and Student Counselling Service or with your faculty's study programme counsellor.

Students who require special facilities should discuss this with their care coordinator.

If you wish to combine your studies with a job as a employed student, you should contact Centrum WeST, which provides customised support for employed students. Registering as an employed student will make the faculty aware of your situation and allow them to take this into account where applicable. Employed students should also put together a realistic study programme that allows them sufficient time to combine their responsibilities. While combining work, family and studies is not always easy, it is certainly possible if you manage your time carefully.