Temporary academic staff, Neuroimmunology
Department : Center for Molecular Neurology
Regime : Part-time
The VIB Center for Molecular Neurology (VIB CMN) and the Department of Biomedical Sciences of the Faculty of Pharmaceutical, Biomedical and Veterinarian Sciences, is seeking to fill the following part-time vacancy:
Temporary academic staff (50%) in the area of Neuroimmunology
The VIB CMN is one of eight research centers of the VIB. In VIB CMN, approximately 75 scientists work in the domain of complex neurological diseases of both the central and peripheral nervous system (https://uantwerpen.vib.be/). The VIB CMN has a Neuromics support facility focused on state-of-the-art high-throughput genomic analyses, bioinformatic support and histological analyses. The University also has supporting central facilities amongst others for biomedical imaging (confocal microscopy, EM, MRI, microtomography) and proteomics.
- You will expand the scientific research in the area of Neuroimmunology with an emphasis on Neurodegenerative Brain Diseases.
- You will develop and apply innovative approaches to generate in vitro and in vivo models of neuroinflammation to study disease mechanisms and identify disease biomarkers and therapeutic targets for Neurodegenerative Brain Diseases.
- You will develop and apply single-cell sequencing approaches to characterize the contribution of individual brain cell populations to the development and progression of Neurodegenerative Brain Diseases.
- You act as a key leader in multidisciplinary collaborations inside and outside the VIB and the university.
- You will offer scientific services: among others you provide scientific advice and expertise in Neuroimmunology to other research groups in the VIB and at the university.
- You acquire and manage local, national and international research funding.
- You contribute to the teaching of classes in the Biomedical Sciences and/or Biochemistry and Biotechnology Study Programs and supervise bachelor, master and PhD students.
Profile and requirements
- You hold a doctorate degree (PhD) in the field of biomedical sciences or biochemistry.
- Your academic qualities comply with the requirements stipulated in the university’s policy.
- You have the ability to lead a group of scientists performing high-profile scientific research.
- You have a minimum of 6 years of research experience in the design and analysis of cell and animal studies in the field of neuroinflammation and neurodegenerative brain diseases and a strong publication record.
- You have a good knowledge of computer-based analysis (R and other statistical/bioinformatics tools) as well as wet-lab methodologies.
- You are experienced in interdisciplinary collaborations relevant to the research on Neurodegenerative Brain Diseases and have a successful track record of international collaborations.
- You have strong social and communicational skills and are able to work in a team and have good executive abilities.
- You are quality-oriented, conscientious, creative and cooperative.
- The focus in your teaching corresponds to the educational vision of the university.
- If you do not master Dutch, the administrative language of the university, you must obtain a CEFR B2 level of proficiency in Dutch. As soon as you take on teaching duties as a course unit coordinator, you should be able to demonstrate a CEFR C1 level of proficiency in the language of instruction. The University of Antwerp supports international staff members on an integration trajectory and offers tailor-made language coaching in compliance with Flanders’ statutory language regulations.
- a part-time position as a lecturer (or higher, depending on academic qualifications and professional experience) for a period not exceeding 3 years. The appointment is possibly renewable after positive evaluation;
- the date of appointment will be 1 October 2020;
- a gross monthly salary ranging for lecturer from € 4.340,07 - € 6.397,43 and for senior lecturer from € 4.969,96 - € 7.807,73;
- a dynamic and stimulating work environment.
Want to apply?
- You can apply for this vacancy through the University of Antwerp’s online job application platform until 9 August 2020. Click on 'apply', complete the online application form and don’t forget to include the following documents: (1) your motivation letter, (2) the completed job application appendix for ZAP, (3) your academic CV.
- The selection committee will review all of the applications as soon as possible after the application deadline. As soon as a decision has been made, we will inform you about the next steps in the selection procedure.
- If you have any questions about the online application form, please check the frequently asked questions or send an email to email@example.com. If you have any questions about the job itself, please contact Prof. Rosa Rademakers, PhD, Scientific Director VIB CMN (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The University of Antwerp received the European Commission’s HR Excellence in Research Award for its HR policy. We are a sustainable, family-friendly organisation which invests in its employees’ growth. We encourage diversity and attach great importance to an inclusive working environment and equal opportunities, regardless of gender identity, disability, race, ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation or age. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and with diverse characteristics to apply.