Doctoral student, Low power machine learning
Department : Department of Computer Science
Regime : Full-time
The Department of Computer Science in the Faculty of Science is seeking to fill a full-time (100%) vacancy for a
Doctoral student in the area of low power machine learning
The current deep learning approaches have resulted in important breakthroughs in the domain of computer vision, natural language understanding, etc. However, for this, the model architectures are constantly increasing in complexity. These complex architectures have a strong computational footprint and as such a strong power consumption as well. On the other hand, a lot of future applications such as intelligence at the edge, on mobile phones and our sensors, are in the need for simpler models, which have a much lower energy footprint. In this project, you will investigate and develop novel machine learning solutions, which are capable of deploying on such power constrained devices. More specifically, we will look into beyond 2nd generation neural networks such as capsule networks, spiking neural networks and hyperdimensional computing.
University of Antwerp – imec IDLab Research group
The Internet & Data Lab (IDLab) is an imec research group at the University of Antwerp and Ghent University. IDLab focuses its research on internet technologies and data science. IDLab is a joint research initiative between Ghent University and the University of Antwerp. Bringing together 300 internet experts, we develop technologies outperforming current solutions for communication subsystems, high speed and low power networking, distributed computing and multimedia processing, machine learning, artificial intelligence and web semantics. Within Antwerp, the overall IDLab research areas are machine learning and wireless networking. IDLab has a unique research infrastructure used in numerous national and international collaborations.
IDLab collaborates with many universities and research centres worldwide and jointly develops advanced technologies with industry (R&D centers from international companies, Flanders’ top innovating large companies and SME’s, as well as numerous ambitious startups).
imec is the world-leading research and innovation hub in nanoelectronics and digital technologies. The combination of our widely acclaimed leadership in microchip technology and profound software and ICT expertise is what makes us unique. By leveraging our world-class infrastructure and local and global ecosystem of partners across a multitude of industries, we create groundbreaking innovation in application domains such as healthcare, smart cities and mobility, logistics and manufacturing, and energy.
As a trusted partner for companies, start-ups and universities we bring together close to 3,500 brilliant minds from over 70 nationalities. Imec is headquartered in Leuven, Belgium and also has distributed R&D groups at a number of Flemish universities, in the Netherlands, Taiwan, USA, China, and offices in India and Japan. All of these particular traits make imec to be a top-class employer.
- You work actively on the preparation and defence of a PhD thesis in the field of low power machine learning.
- You carry out a limited number of teaching and research support tasks for the Department of Computer Science and the IDLab Research Group.
- You will communicate your findings in reports and/or presentations to internal and external stakeholders.
- You will work in a small team and participate in research projects, mostly in collaboration with industry.
- You interface and collaborate on a technical level with research partners from industry and academia.
- You will participate in the framework of European and national research projects (in collaboration with industry).
- You hold a Master degree in Science, preferably in Computer Science, Engineering, Physics, Electrical Engineering or equivalent, or you will have obtained it by the time you start work.
- You can demonstrate excellent study results.
- Your teaching competences are in line with the University of Antwerp’s educational vision.
- Your research qualities are in line with the faculty and university research policies.
- You act with attention to quality, integrity, creativity and cooperation.
- You have a strong interest and experience in machine learning.
- Having published in high-ranking conferences and journals in the field is an advantage.
- You are well-organized and able to autonomously plan and execute tasks.
- You are a pro-active problem solver, team player and have strong communication skills.
- Your English is fluent, both speaking and writing.
What we offer
- We offer a doctoral scholarship for a period of two years. Following a positive evaluation, the scholarship can be renewed once for another two-year period.
- The planned start date is 1 October 2020.
- Your monthly scholarship amount is calculated according to the scholarship amounts for doctoral scholarship holders on the pay scales for contract research staff (Dutch: Bijzonder Academisch Personeel, BAP).
- You will do most of your work at Campus Drie Eiken in a dynamic and stimulating working environment.
- Find out more about working at the University of Antwerp here.
Want to apply?
- You can apply for this vacancy through the University of Antwerp’s online job application platform until 26 July 2020. Click on the 'Apply' button, complete the online application form and be sure to include the following attachments: a motivation letter and your CV.
- The selection committee will review all of the applications as soon as possible after the application deadline. As soon as a decision has been made, we will inform you about the next steps in the selection procedure.
- If you have any questions about the online application form, please check the frequently asked questions or send an email to email@example.com. If you have any questions about the job itself, please contact Prof. Steven Latré – firstname.lastname@example.org of tel. 03 265 34 47.
The University of Antwerp received the European Commission’s HR Excellence in Research Award for its HR policy. We are a sustainable, family-friendly organisation which invests in its employees’ growth. We encourage diversity and attach great importance to an inclusive working environment and equal opportunities, regardless of gender identity, disability, race, ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation or age. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and with diverse characteristics to apply.