Only vacancies in English are shown on this page. For a complete list of all the vacancies currently open at the university, please consult the vacancy pages in Dutch.
Department: Institute of Development Policy (IOB)
The Institute of Development Policy (IOB) of the University of Antwerp wants to contribute to a more just and sustainable world through multidisciplinary academic research, education, partnerships and political engagement. (More information: www.uantwerp.be/iob.)
The Institute of Development Policy (IOB) has the following full-time vacancy:
Graduate teaching & research assistant in the field of “Green City Bonds and Sustainable Development”
As a graduate teaching & research assistant, you will be part of the academic assistant staff (Dutch: Assisterend Academisch Personeel, AAP). You will spend at least 50% of your working time preparing a PhD thesis. In addition, you will play an assisting role in teaching, research and service activities.
- You will work actively on the preparation and defence of a PhD thesis in the field of development processes, actors and policies, and in the research line “Environment and Sustainable Development”. Your research studies a recent and ambitious international policy idea: the issuing of Green City Bonds to tackle climate challenges at the local level. Green City Bonds are debt titles offered by cities to the (global) financial market and directly linked to the realization of green projects at the local level (for climate mitigation and adaptation). The PhD project will analyse the what and the how of this global concept, and how these bonds are subsequently shaped at the city level. We are particularly interested in the dynamic interplay of governance practices concerning access, accountability and participation, and if Green City Bonds change these practices.
- Geographically, you focus on South-Africa and/or Mexico.
- Your research adopts a multidisciplinary perspective, includes fieldwork and uses a mixed methods approach in accordance with the IOB Research Strategy 2017-2022.
- You will organise your own PhD research and report on your progress regularly.
- You will participate in the doctoral study programme at the Antwerp Doctoral School to support your PhD pathway.
- You will present the findings of your PhD research at academic conferences and aim to publish them in scientific journals.
- You will contribute to attracting national and international research funding.
- You will provide support with teaching and also teach high-quality academic classes yourself in development monitoring and evaluation.
- Your teaching role will evolve along with the study programmes.
- You will assist in the development of teaching methods, teaching and study materials, evaluations, etc..
- You will be involved in the assessment of master student papers and dissertations.
- You will assist in ongoing research projects and activities.
- You will play an active role in the academic and societal service provision of the institute.
- You will also assist in student recruitment and alumni activities and serve on boards and committees, among other activities.
- You hold a Master degree in development studies or in related social science disciplines (economics, sociology, politics, anthropology, human geography, …) or you will have obtained it by the time you start work.
- You preferably have knowledge of and experience with both quantitative and qualitative research methods.
- You can demonstrate excellent study results.
- Your research qualities are in line with the faculty and university research policies.
- Your teaching competences are in line with the University of Antwerp’s educational vision.
- You are motivated to work actively on your further professional development.
- You act with attention to quality, integrity, creativity and cooperation.
- You are fluent in English. Knowledge of other languages is a plus.
What we offer
- We offer an appointment as a graduate teaching & research assistant for a period of two years. Following a positive evaluation, the appointment can be renewed twice up to a maximum period of six years.
- Your gross monthly salary is calculated according to the pay scale for an assistant (academic assistant staff, AAP).
- The planned start date is 1 September 2021.
- You will do most of your work at the City Campus in a dynamic and stimulating working environment.
- Find out more about working at the University of Antwerp here and discover all the other benefits.
Want to apply?
- You can apply for this vacancy through the University of Antwerp’s online job application platform up to and including 7 March 2021 (by midnight Brussels time). Click on 'apply', complete the online application form and don’t forget to include the following document(s): . (1) a motivation letter, (2) your CV and (3) PhD research proposal and argument .
- The application must be completed with a PhD research proposal (appr. 1000 words) and an argument (appr. 500 words) how this proposal can strengthen the profile of the research line and of the IOB in general. This document must be submitted in English.
- The selection committee will review all of the applications as soon as possible after the application deadline. As soon as a decision has been made, we will inform you about the next steps in the selection procedure. Please make a note of the following date: Tuesday 20 April 2021, 9 am – 1 pm Brussels time GMT+2 (interview).
- If you have any questions about the online application form, please check the frequently asked questions or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any questions about the job itself, please contact prof. Nadia Molenaers, email@example.com.
The University of Antwerp received the European Commission’s HR Excellence in Research Award for its HR policy. We are a sustainable, family-friendly organisation which invests in its employees’ growth. We encourage diversity and attach great importance to an inclusive working environment and equal opportunities, regardless of gender identity, disability, race, ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation or age. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and with diverse characteristics to apply.