Only vacancies in English are shown on this page. For a complete list of all the vacancies currently open at the university, please consult the vacancy pages in Dutch.
Department: Department of Engineering Management
Let’s shape the future - University of Antwerp
The University of Antwerp is a dynamic, forward-thinking, European university. We offer an innovative academic education to more than 20 000 students, conduct pioneering scientific research and play an important service-providing role in society. We are one of the largest, most international and most innovative employers in the region. With more than 6000 employees from 100 different countries, we are helping to build tomorrow's world every day. Through top scientific research, we push back boundaries and set a course for the future – a future that you can help to shape.
The Department of Engineering Management in the Faculty of Business and Economics is looking for a full-time (100%) postdoctoral scholarship holder in the field of Explainable AI.
- You will work on the development, use and validation of counterfactual explanation methods, particularly to discover new insights.
- You will assist in ongoing research projects in Explainable AI and the activities of the Applied Data Mining research group: http://www.applieddatamining.com/
- You will join the Applied Data Mining research group, a team of seven persons working in explainable AI: https://admantwerp.github.io/Projects/
- You will work in Antwerp, at a young and exciting research group, with access to several unique real-world datasets, and experience in the development and validation of explanation algorithms.
- You will help coordinate project proposals in the field of explainable AI and contribute to attracting external funding.
- You will assist in the supervision of PhD students and other team members.
- You will fulfil a limited number of teaching activities, in data science related domains.
- You will participate in the provision of academic services: you will represent the research group both internally and externally, help to coordinate service projects, and so on.
- You hold a PhD in Computer Science or a Data Science related field (or you will have obtained it by the time you start work).
- Postdoctoral scholarships holders can only be selected and invited within the framework of international mobility. The postdoctoral researcher may not have been resident or have carried out a main activity (work, studies,....) in Belgium, for more than a total of 24 months over a period of three year preceding the start date of his/her position as postdoctoral researcher with a grant or subsidy. Short stays (holidays, participation in congresses) shall not be considered.
- You have experience in Explainable AI.
- Your research qualities are in line with the faculty and university research policies.
- Your teaching competences are in line with the University of Antwerp’s educational vision.
- You act with attention to quality, integrity, creativity and cooperation.
- You can speak and write fluently in English.
- You have a positive and eager mindset.
- You are proficient in Python.
What we offer
- We offer a full-time appointment as a postdoctoral scholarship holder for a period of one to three years;
- The planned start date is September 1, 2021 or as soon as possible after that date.
- Your monthly scholarship amount is calculated according to the scholarship amounts for postdoctoral scholarship holders on the pay scales for Contract Research Staff (Dutch: Bijzonder Academisch Personeel, BAP).
- You will do most of your work at the City Campus in a dynamic and stimulating working environment.
- Find out more about working at the University of Antwerp here.
Want to apply?
- You can apply for this vacancy through the University of Antwerp’s online job application platform up to and including May 16, 2021 (by midnight Brussels time). Click on the 'Apply' button, complete the online application form and be sure to include the following attachments: a motivation letter, your academic CV and reference letter from your PhD supervisor.
- The selection committee will review all of the applications as soon as possible after the application deadline. As soon as a decision has been made, we will inform you about the next steps in the selection procedure. Please make a note of the following date for a potential online interview: May 21st, 2021.
- If you have any questions about the online application form, please check the frequently asked questions or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any questions about the job itself, please contact prof. dr. ir. David Martens (David.Martens@uantwerpen.be).
The University of Antwerp received the European Commission’s HR Excellence in Research Award for its HR policy. We are a sustainable, family-friendly organisation which invests in its employees’ growth. We encourage diversity and attach great importance to an inclusive working environment and equal opportunities, regardless of gender identity, disability, race, ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation or age. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and with diverse characteristics to apply.