Only vacancies in English are shown on this page. For a complete list of all the vacancies currently open at the university, please consult the vacancy pages in Dutch.
Department: Training and Education Sciences
Let’s shape the future - University of Antwerp
The University of Antwerp is a dynamic, forward-thinking, European university. We offer an innovative academic education to more than 20 000 students, conduct pioneering scientific research and play an important service-providing role in society. We are one of the largest, most international and most innovative employers in the region. With more than 6000 employees from 100 different countries, we are helping to build tomorrow's world every day. Through top scientific research, we push back boundaries and set a course for the future – a future that you can help to shape.
The Department of Training and educational sciences in the Faculty of Social sciences is looking for a full-time doctoral scholarship holder in the field of educational sciences – research group Didactica: philosophy of science @ school:
- You will work actively on the preparation and defence of a PhD thesis in the field of educational sciences – didactics of science and philosophy.
- You will explore how to overcome the gap between scientific consensus and public opinion on topics such as climate change, vaccine safety and evolution. Hereto, you will evaluate and test methods to help students in secondary schools reflect about ‘Nature of Science’. More in particular, you will investigate how dialogue techniques of the human sciences (e.g. philosophical dialogue) can be helpful to stimulate reflection about science and enhance the understanding of ‘Nature of science’. You will develop teaching methods, interview teachers, perform a systematic literature review and set up an empirical intervention study. For this, you will cooperate with teachers and teacher trainers.
- You will publish scientific articles related to the research project.
- You will actively participate in (inter)national conferences and share the results of your study with the research and education-community.
- You will carry out a limited number of teaching and research support tasks for the Academic teacher education (Master of Teaching).
- You hold a Master degree in Sciences, Philosophy, Educational sciences, Training and educational sciences or a similar degree. Even if you finish your studies only this summer, you are welcome to apply.
- A teacher’s degree is an asset
- You can demonstrate excellent study results.
- Your teaching competences are in line with the University of Antwerp’s educational vision.
- Your research qualities are in line with the faculty and university research policies.
- You act with attention to quality, integrity, creativity and cooperation.
- You are motivated and passionate about didactic research
- You are familiar with scientific (educational) literature
- You have experience in (empirical) research, and you are prepared to further specialize in qualitative and quantitative research methods
- You are well-skilled in academic writing and speaking (in English and/or Dutch)
What we offer
- We offer a doctoral scholarship for a period of two years. Following a positive evaluation, the scholarship can be renewed once for another two-year period.
- The planned start date is 1 October 2021 or as soon as possible after that date.
- Your monthly scholarship amount is calculated according to the scholarship amounts for doctoral scholarship holders on the pay scales for Contract Research Staff (Dutch: Bijzonder Academisch Personeel, BAP).
- You will do most of your work at City Campus in a dynamic and stimulating working environment.
- Find out more about working at the University of Antwerp here.
Want to apply?
- You can apply for this vacancy through the University of Antwerp’s online job application platform up to and including 9 August 2021 (by midnight Brussels time). Click on the 'Apply' button, complete the online application form and be sure to include the following attachments:
- A motivation letter in English (max. 2 pages) specifying why we should select you for this position
- Your academic CV (max. 4 pages)
- A detailed report on the scores of your current and finished study programs
- A research text you wrote (e.g. a scientific article, book chapter or a chapter of your master’s thesis)
- The selection committee will review all of the applications as soon as possible after the application deadline. As soon as a decision has been made, we will inform you about the next steps in the selection procedure.
- Candidates selected for the selection interviews will be asked to prepare an assignment about the PhD-topic (information will be shared later). The selection interviews are planned from the 25th of August till the 28th of August 2021.
- If you have any questions about the online application form, please check the frequently asked questions or send an email to email@example.com. If you have any questions about the job itself, please contact Jelle De Schrijver, assistant professor - didactics of history and philosophy, firstname.lastname@example.org, T 0032486307348.
The University of Antwerp received the European Commission’s HR Excellence in Research Award for its HR policy. We are a sustainable, family-friendly organisation which invests in its employees’ growth. We encourage diversity and attach great importance to an inclusive working environment and equal opportunities, regardless of gender identity, disability, race, ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation or age. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and with diverse characteristics to apply.