On this page you will find vacancies for Academic Staff. Only vacancies in English are shown. For a complete list of all vacancies currently open at the university, please consult the vacancy pages in Dutch.
Didn't find what you were looking for? Save your search and create a job alert on the online application module to be automatically notified of interesting future job openings.More information can be found here.
Department: Department of Political Science
Let’s shape the future - University of Antwerp
The University of Antwerp is a dynamic, forward-looking university. We offer innovative academic education to more than 20000 students, perform pioneering scientific research, and play an important role in society. With more than 6000 employees from 100 different countries, we build the world of tomorrow. You can help shape it.
The Politics & Public Governance research group of the Political Science Department is looking for a full-time (100%) Ph.D. researcher (48m).
You will be involved in a project funded by the Flemish Research Council that investigates rankings of public services, such as schools. We want to examine whether such rankings can enhance or weaken citizens' knowledge of and trust in public services. Moreover, we want to investigate how the presentation of such rankings (e.g. with added visual cues or symbols) can alter citizens’ interpretations. In this research, we work with innovative quantitative and experimental methods, including online and eye-tracker experiments. The project has significant ramifications for how governments should interact with citizens. You will do your research in a vibrant, leading research group in the field of public administration. In the Shanghai ranking of the academic discipline 'Public Administration,' the University of Antwerp ranks first in Belgium and twentieth worldwide.
The position includes the following assignments:
- You work on a Ph.D. on the impact of rankings of public services.
- You do the empirical research. You organize the data collection and do the analyses.
- You participate in the social valorization of the research results.
- You present your work in international academic networks and on international conferences.
- You write highly relevant publications for international scientific journals
- You take on a limited number of teaching duties in the political science department.
- You hold a Master's degree in social science: e.g., public administration, political science, sociology, socio-economic sciences, communication science, or education science. You can apply if you graduate this year.
- You are interested in the functioning of the government
- You are not afraid of numbers and are willing to train yourself in the programming language R
- You have good oral and written knowledge of English.
- You have good writing skills.
- You take an integer, creative, quality-oriented, and collaborative approach.
- You can plan and organize your work.
- You are socially competent and communicative.
What we offer
- We offer you a Ph.D. scholarship for four years.
- The foreseen start date is 1 September 2022.
- You will receive a monthly stipend as a doctoral researcher according to the pay scales (see: scholarship amount)
- You will be provided opportunities to train yourself in relevant academic skills (e.g. statistics and experimental methods) as well as soft skills, for instance by following dedicated courses
- You will work on the city campus in a dynamic and stimulating work environment.
- Read more about working at the University of Antwerp here.
How to apply?
- You can apply for this position until June 29, 2022 (by midnight Brussels time) via the online application platform of the University of Antwerp. Click on the button 'apply,' complete the online application form and make sure to attach the following documents: 1° a motivation letter; 2° your CV.
- The selection committee will review all applications as soon as possible after the application deadline. We will inform you about the possible next step(s) in the selection procedure as soon as we decide.
- For questions about the online application form, please consult the Frequently Asked Questions or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. For questions concerning the position or the project, please contact Wouter Van Dooren at email@example.com or Bjorn Kleizen at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University of Antwerp is a sustainable, family-friendly organization that invests in the growth of its employees. We encourage people with diverse backgrounds and characteristics to apply. We promote diversity and attach great importance to an inclusive work environment with equal opportunities - regardless of gender, disability, origin, philosophy of life, sexual orientation, or age.