On this page you will find vacancies for Academic Staff. Only vacancies in English are shown. For a complete list of all vacancies currently open at the university, please consult the vacancy pages in Dutch.
Didn't find what you were looking for? Save your search and create a job alert on the online application module to be automatically notified of interesting future job openings.More information can be found here.
On 1 February 2023 you will not be able to apply online or complete your application as the system is undergoing maintenance.
Department: Department of Biomedical Sciences
Postdoctoral researcher in the area of epigenetics and ferroptosis
The Faculty of Pharmaceutical, Biomedical and Veterinary Sciences at the University of Antwerp is seeking to fill a full-time (100%) vacancies in the Department of Biomedical Sciences for a postdoctoral scholarship holder in the area of epigenetics and ferroptosis.
- You will be working in the Vanden Berghe lab (https://www.vanden-berghe-lab.com/news/grant-strategic-basic-research/) on epigenetics and ferroptosis-related biology.
- Background research topic: Oxidative stress can kill cells in an iron-dependent way. This type of cell injury is known as ferroptosis. We want to study and manipulate the epigenetic regulation of ferroptosis. This project is supported by Stichting tegen Kanker.
- Research topic for this postdoc position: You will identify an epifingerprint that determines 1) ferroptosis sensitivity/resistance and 2) ferroptotic cell death (reflecting therapy responsiveness). In addition, you will recondition resistant high-risk neuroblastoma towards ferroptosis sensitive state using epigenetic drugs.
- Next to experimental research, you will write project reports for your supervisor on a regular basis, write scientific papers and support grant writing.
Profile and requirements
- You hold a doctorate degree (PhD) in Biotechnology, Biochemistry, Pharmacy or (Bio)Medicine.
- You did not reside, study or work in Belgium for more than 24 months in the 3 years immediately prior to the recruitment date (eligibility rule for postdoctoral scholarship holder)
- Expertise in cell death research is mandatory
- Your academic qualities comply with the requirements stipulated in the university’s policy.
- You co-supervise PhD students
- You are quality-oriented, conscientious, creative and cooperative.
- You have strong communication skills.
- You are fluent in academic English (speaking and writing)
- An appointment as a postdoctoral researcher for a period of 3 years (evaluation after 1st year).
- The date of appointment: July 1st, 2023, or soon after that.
- Your monthly scholarship amount is calculated according to the scholarship amounts for postdoctoral scholarship holders on the pay scales for Contract Research Staff (Dutch: Bijzonder Academisch Personeel, BAP).
- You will work in a dynamic and stimulating working environment.
- Click hereto find out more about working at the University of Antwerp and the related benefits.
How to apply?
- You can apply for this vacancy through the University of Antwerp’s online job application platform up to and including 13 March 2023 (by midnight Brussels time). Click on the 'Apply' button, complete the online application form and be sure to include the following attachments: a motivation letter and your CV.
- A pre-selection will be made from amongst the submitted applications.
- The remainder of the selection procedure is specific to the position and will be determined by the selection panel. Interviews will take place in April (exact date will be communicated).
- If you have any questions about the online application form, please check the frequently asked questionsor send an email to email@example.com. For questions about the profile and the description of duties, please contact Prof. Tom Vanden Berghe (firstname.lastname@example.org)
The University of Antwerp received the European Commission’s HR Excellence in Research Award for its HR policy. We are a sustainable, family-friendly organisation which invests in its employees’ growth. We encourage diversity and attach great importance to an inclusive working environment and equal opportunities, regardless of gender identity, disability, race, ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation or age. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and with diverse characteristics to apply.