On this page you will find vacancies for Academic Staff. Only vacancies in English are shown. For a complete list of all vacancies currently open at the university, please consult the vacancy pages in Dutch.
Didn't find what you were looking for? Save your search and create a job alert on the online application module to be automatically notified of interesting future job openings.More information can be found here.
Let’s shape the future - University of Antwerp
The University of Antwerp is a dynamic, forward-thinking, European university. We offer an innovative academic education to more than 20,000 students, conducting pioneering scientific research and playing an important service-providing role in society. We are one of the largest, most international and most innovative employers in the region. With more than 6,000 employees from 100 different countries, we are helping to build tomorrow's world every day. Through top scientific research, we push back boundaries and set a course for the future – a future that you can help to shape.
The research group Applied Electrochemistry and Catalysis (ELCAT) in the Faculty of Applied Engineering is looking for a full time (100%) doctoral scholarship holder in the field of flow batteries. Batteries will be crucial to transform our society to a sustainable one. As a PhD student you will therefore conduct research to understand how battery design affects performance and study the influence on lifetime.
Within the research group ELCAT you will find yourself in an excellent research environment consisting of more than 30 researchers and equipped with state-of-the-art lab facilities and research equipment. The scope of ELCAT is situated in the field of electrochemistry and electrochemical engineering. Its scientific activities are related to the development of state-of-the-art electrochemical reactors and batteries, striving towards a green and sustainable industry and society.
- You will work actively on the preparation and defence of a PhD thesis in the field of flow batteries for renewable energy storage. To guarantee energy supply in the future and keep on incorporating windmills and solar panels in our energy mix, it is crucial that we can store electricity for moments when production levels are too low. Flow batteries stand out in the field of energy storage but their performance can still be improved, lifetime evaluation being an important unaddressed task. You will develop novel experiments to assess battery degradation and perform lifetime forecasts. You will develop innovative electrodes to tune the geometry of electrodes to enhance the power density of a flow battery. Scalability studies may be part of the research activities.
- You will publish scientific articles and/or patents related to your research.
- You also assist in a limited number of teaching tasks and research support to aid in the good day-to-day functioning of the research group and the Faculty of Applied Engineering.
- You hold a Master’s degree in chemical engineering, Master’s degree in chemistry, Master’s degree in applied engineering/industrial science: chemistry, Master’s degree in materials science, Master’s degree in a related field or equivalent through experience or you will have obtained it by the time you start working.
- You can demonstrate excellent study results.
- You are pro-active and have mind-set for scientific research.
- You are enthusiast and highly motivated.
- You can work safely in research laboratories, in particular regarding chemical substances.
- Experience in performing experiments with electrochemical systems is considered a plus.
- You have a good knowledge of English language. You can communicate well, both in speaking and in writing.
- You are strong in planning and organizing; you can work independently.
- Your teaching competences are in line with the University of Antwerp’s educational vision.
- Your research qualities are in line with the faculty and university research policies.
- You act with attention to quality, integrity, creativity and cooperation.
What we offer
- We offer a doctoral scholarship for a period of two years. Following a positive evaluation, the scholarship can be renewed once for another two-year period.
- The planned start date is as soon as possible.
- Your monthly scholarship amount is calculated according to the scholarship amounts for doctoral scholarship holders on the pay scales for Contract Research Staff (Dutch: Bijzonder Academisch Personeel, BAP).
- You will receive ecocheques, Internet-connectivity allowance and a bicycle allowance or a full reimbursement of public transport costs for commuting.
- You will do most of your work at Campus Drie Eiken (Universiteitsplein 1, 2610 Wilrijk, Belgium) in a dynamic and stimulating working environment.
- Find out more about working at the University of Antwerp here.
Want to apply?
- You can apply for this vacancy through the University of Antwerp’s online job application platform up to and including October 11th 2023 (by midnight Brussels time). Click on the 'Apply' button, complete the online application form and be sure to include the following attachments: a motivation letter and your academic CV.
- The selection committee will review all the applications as soon as possible after the application deadline. As soon as a decision has been made, we will inform you about the next steps in the selection procedure. (Online) Interviews will take place on Thursday October 19th 2023.
- If you have any questions about the online application form, please check the frequently asked questions or send an email to email@example.com. If you have any questions about the job itself, please contact Prof. Jonas Hereijgers (Jonas.Hereijgers@uantwerpen.be)
The University of Antwerp received the European Commission’s HR Excellence in Research Award for its HR policy. We are a sustainable, family-friendly organisation which invests in its employees’ growth. We encourage diversity and attach great importance to an inclusive working environment and equal opportunities, regardless of gender identity, disability, race, ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation or age. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and with diverse characteristics to apply