On this page you will find vacancies for Academic Staff. Only vacancies in English are shown. For a complete list of all vacancies currently open at the university, please consult the vacancy pages in Dutch.
Didn't find what you were looking for? Save your search and create a job alert on the online application module to be automatically notified of interesting future job openings.More information can be found here.
Let’s shape the future - University of Antwerp
The University of Antwerp is a dynamic, forward-thinking, European university. We offer an innovative academic education to more than 20000 students, conduct pioneering scientific research and play an important service-providing role in society. We are one of the largest, most international and most innovative employers in the region. With more than 6000 employees from 100 different countries, we are helping to build tomorrow's world every day. Through top scientific research, we push back boundaries and set a course for the future – a future that you can help to shape.
As part of the support for basic and applied research granted from the Industrial Research Fund (IOF), the University of Antwerp is looking for a full-time (m/f) Valorisation Manager for the Valorisation domain Metopolitanism, Smart Cities, Mobility & Logistics. Scientifically-thematically, the research of the valorisation domain is on one hand focused on the multidisciplinary study of metropolitan challenges with specific attention to the technological aspects (smart city) and on the other hand on the themes of (urban) mobility and logistics.
The valorisation manager for the valorisation domain works at a strategic level, with a particular focus on starting up ecosystems, developing pre-incubators (such as The Beacon) and acquiring strategic investments from the industry as well as regional, national and international governments. This position requires strong and proactive cooperation with various stakeholders within and outside the university and sufficient seniority.
- From your valorization management function, you are responsible for insuring and further developing the ecosystem within this valorisation domain with the intention of:
- guarantee, maintain and stimulate cooperation with industry;
- building up a knowledge and IP portfolio of potential valorizable interest to industry;
- exploring new opportunities for collaboration and valorisation;
- You will collaborate with industry to explore opportunities for new research topics with the aim of capitalizing upon the existing expertise in the IOF valorisation domain;
- As a member of the IOF valorisation domain, you expand the ecosystem of metropolitanism in close collaboration with faculties / departments / research groups of the University of Antwerp, the university colleges of the AUHA, SOCs, spearhead clusters, research centers and companies active within the domain of infectious diseases and you help to build national and international networks.
- You are holder of a master’s degree in technical or socio-human sciences related to the subject matter (engineer, economist, lawyer, social scientist, design scientist, …). A doctoral degree in one of the research domains of the IOF valorisation domain or training or experience in a business and/or commercial direction is not a requirement but is considered as an additional asset;
- Demonstrable experience in valorisation of research related to one or more of the research domains within the IOF valorisation domain:
- Smart cities, use of space, circular economy & sustainable transitions (energy, green-blue, materials), smart mobility & logistics
- Smart logistics
- Entrepreneurship and innovation in urban contexts;
- You are familiar with the Flemish Innovation Policy and you have an excellent interaction with relevant governments, sector organizations, industrial and academic experts;
- You have a strong entrepreneurial spirit and possess administrative and communication skills;
- Relevant work experience in both academic and industrial research is a strong asset;
- Experience in attracting external funding from the private and public sector in the domain of basis and applied research on national as well as international level is desirable;
- Knowledge of technology transfer processes needed to valorise academic research results and available technology as well as experience in managing a broad project portfolio is an advantage;
- Experience with EU projects and the related administration as well as with various aspects of property rights management is recommended;
- You are quality-oriented, honest, creative and collaborative;
- Given the challenging position in both national and international context, the candidate is expected to be fluent in English. A good knowledge of Dutch is required for interaction with the Flemish government and the interpretation and development of policy documents;
- Good knowledge of current MS Office software.
What we offer
- A permanent contract, depending on a positive evaluation;
- Your gross monthly salary is calculated according to the pay scale for Special Academic Staff (Dutch: Bijzonder Academisch Personeel, BAP) depending on your experience and seniority;
- You will receive meal vouchers, ecocheques, internet-connectivity allowance, a mobile phone subscription, a group insurance, an income protection insurance, and a bicycle allowance or a full reimbursement of public transport costs for commuting;
- Mobile phone and laptop;
- A dynamic and stimulating work environment;
- Flexible working hours;
- 40 days of holiday;
- Find out more about working at the University of Antwerp here.
Want to apply?
- You can apply for this vacancy through the University of Antwerp’s online job application platform up to and including 14 March 2024 (by midnight Brussels time). Click on 'apply', complete the online application form and don’t forget to include the following document(s): (1) a motivation letter, (2) your academic CV,
- The selection committee will review all of the applications as soon as possible after the application deadline. As soon as a decision has been made, we will inform you about the next steps in the selection procedure.
- If you have any questions about the online application form, please check the frequently asked questions or send an email to email@example.com. If you have any questions about the job itself, please contact Dirk Lanens (Director Antwerp Valorisation & Development) (e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 0477 61 10 24).
The University of Antwerp received the European Commission’s HR Excellence in Research Award for its HR policy. We are a sustainable, family-friendly organisation which invests in its employees’ growth. We encourage diversity and attach great importance to an inclusive working environment and equal opportunities, regardless of gender identity, disability, race, ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation or age. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and with diverse characteristics to apply.