On this page you will find vacancies for Academic Staff. Only vacancies in English are shown. For a complete list of all vacancies currently open at the university, please consult the vacancy pages in Dutch.
Didn't find what you were looking for? Save your search and create a job alert on the online application module to be automatically notified of interesting future job openings.More information can be found here.
Let’s shape the future - University of Antwerp
The University of Antwerp is a dynamic, forward-thinking, European university. We offer an innovative academic education to more than 20000 students, conduct pioneering scientific research and play an important service-providing role in society. We are one of the largest, most international and most innovative employers in the region. With more than 6000 employees from 100 different countries, we are helping to build tomorrow's world every day. Through top scientific research, we push back boundaries and set a course for the future – a future that you can help to shape.
As part of its dynamic research policy, and supported by the University Research Fund (Dutch: Bijzonder Onderzoeksfonds, BOF), the research group ELCAT in the Faculty of Applied Engineering has the following full-time vacancy: junior research professor (tenure track ZAPBOF) in the area of power-to-X-to-power.
You will join the ELCAT research group, currently employing around 40 people. ELCAT's main research focus is on electrochemistry. The core research activities are related to the development of state-of-the-art electrochemical reactors and catalysts, with a view towards large-scale industrial development in the field of industrial electrification, in a green and sustainable way to ultimately replace the traditional chemical processes. The research is largely covered by 5 key activities: (1) electrochemical CO2 conversion; (2) electrochemical hydrogen production; (3) redox-flow batteries; (4) power-to-chemicals and (5) electrochemical reactor engineering.
As a member of the Tenured Senior Academic Staff (Dutch: Zelfstandig Academisch Personeel, ZAP), you will contribute to the University of Antwerp’s three core tasks: research, services and education. Your role may also include organisational and managerial aspects. As a research professor, your role will consist primarily of academic research with some limited involvement in the educational programmes for a maximum of 10 years.
- You will expand high-quality scientific research in the field of power-to-X-to-power. More specifically, you will help ELCAT to establish itself as one of the driving groups behind the industrial electrification utilizing an electrochemical engineering approach. Your goal will be to develop, validate or scale up original conversion technologies that either produce chemicals (e.g. H2, CO, C2H4, etc.) utilizing emission-free electricity and renewable feedstock (power-to-X) or produce renewable electricity starting from a circular feedstock (X-to-power). Thus, the main challenges that you will address with your research are the development of novel electrochemical conversion routes, lowering the electrolysers’ capital cost and increasing the overall energy efficiency. You can approach this either from a theoretical or from a practical point of view. Knowledge of fundamental or applied electrochemical engineering is imperative for this position.
- You will initiate new lines of research and co-ordinate the progress of scientific research projects within the mission of ELCAT. You will also participate in ongoing research programmes.
- You will acquire and manage national and international research funding.
- You will publish in international peer-reviewed journals and will strive towards high-impact publications.
- You will develop an international scientific network in the field of industrial electrification.
- You will supervise PhD students and postdoctoral researchers.
- You will play a role in the provision of both academic services and service to society, within the institution and externally. You will offer scientific services: among others you take part in in the policy development of the research group, the Bachelor’s and Master’s program of the department and the Faculty of Applied Engineering.
- You will provide high-quality education in applied engineering.
- You will play a role in developing activating, student-centred and competence-driven programme components and study programmes.
Organisation and leadership
- You will accept coordinating responsibilities in the core tasks of research, services and/or education and you will contribute to policy.
- Your leadership style will be motivating and coaching. You will be attentive to your employees’ growth and development processes.
- You hold a PhD in Engineering, in Science or equivalent.
- Preferably you can demonstrate a minimum of two years of postdoctoral experience (when you start work, at the latest).
- You have an international academic portfolio and you conduct high-quality academic research.
- Your research qualities are in line with the faculty and university research policies.
- Your teaching competences are in line with the University of Antwerp’s educational vision. You are motivated to develop your teaching skills further through the professionalisation opportunities available.
- If you do not speak Dutch, the administrative language of the university, you should be willing to obtain a CEFR B2 level of proficiency in Dutch within five years after your appointment. As soon as you take on teaching duties as a programme component coordinator, you should be able to demonstrate a CEFR C1 level of proficiency in the language of instruction. The University of Antwerp supports international staff members through an integration trajectory and offers tailor-made language coaching in compliance with Flanders’ statutory language regulations.
- You demonstrate leadership potential and organisational skills.
- You act with attention to quality, integrity, creativity and cooperation.
- You are a strong team player. You work in a team as a motivating and inspiring member. You have vision and can communicate well, both in speaking and in writing.
What we offer
- We offer a full-time ZAPBOF appointment as a tenure track assistant professor for a period of five years. Following a favourable evaluation, this period is followed by permanent appointment (tenure) as an associate professor.
- In the event of a positive evaluation after the first five-year period, you may continue in your role as a research professor with limited teaching responsibilities for a maximum of ten years in total, allowing you to further strengthen your research portfolio. This tenure track ZAPBOF period is then followed by a standard position as a member of the Tenured Senior Academic Staff with a mixture of teaching, research and service responsibilities.
- Your gross monthly salary is calculated according to the pay scales for Senior Academic Staff.
- We offer, after a positive evaluation of a PhD project you conducted, an attractive starter package consisting of a four-year PhD project and € 25 000 of consumables to boost your research from the start of your employment at the University of Antwerp.
- You will receive ecocheques, Internet-connectivity allowance, and a bicycle allowance or a full reimbursement of public transport costs for commuting.
- The planned start date is 1 October 2024.
- You will do most of your work at Campus Drie Eiken in a dynamic and stimulating working environment.
- Find out more about working at the University of Antwerp here and discover all the other benefits.
Want to apply?
- You can apply for this vacancy through the University of Antwerp’s online job application platform up to and including 25 March 2024 (by midnight Brussels time). Click on 'apply', complete the online application form and don’t forget to include the following documents:
- your motivation letter,
- the completed job application appendix for ZAP,
- your academic CV,
- a detailed research plan for the next five years (approx. 5000 words.),
- a report on your previous scientific research activities (maximum 1000 words),
- an abstract on the scientific content of the research plan (maximum 500 words or 4000 characters).
- All documents must be submitted in English.
- The selection committee will review all of the applications as soon as possible after the application deadline. As soon as a decision has been made, we will inform you about the next steps in the selection procedure. Please note that an assessment, as well as the selection interview and a trial lecture, will take place in the first half of May 2024. If you are invited to the selection interview, you will also be asked to propose a topic for a four-year PhD project.
- If you have any questions about the online application form, please check the frequently asked questions or send an email to email@example.com. If you have any questions about the job itself, please contact Tom Breugelmans, Full Professor and Dean, firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com. If you have any questions about the typical appointment framework for this research role, please contact the TTZAPBOF officers in the Department of Research Affairs & Innovation, Ms. Marianne De Voecht (0032 3 265 30 29) or Ms. Birgit Houben (0032 3 265 31 39)
The University of Antwerp received the European Commission’s HR Excellence in Research Award for its HR policy. We are a sustainable, family-friendly organisation which invests in its employees’ growth. We encourage diversity and attach great importance to an inclusive working environment and equal opportunities, regardless of gender identity, disability, race, ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation or age. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and with diverse characteristics to apply.