On this page you will find vacancies for Administrative and Technical Personel. Only vacancies in English are shown. For a complete list of all vacancies currently open at the university, please consult the vacancy pages in Dutch.
Didn't find what you were looking for? Save your search and create a job alert on the online application module to be automatically notified of interesting future job openings.More information can be found here.
Department: Department of Physics
Let’s shape the future - University of Antwerp
The University of Antwerp is a dynamic, forward-thinking university. We offer an innovative academic education to more than 20000 students, conduct pioneering scientific research and play an important service-providing role in society. With more than 6000 employees from 100 different countries, we are helping to build tomorrow's world every day. Together we push back boundaries and set a course for the future – a future that you can help to shape.
The University of Antwerp’s Physics Department of the Faculty of Science is looking for a full-time specialist staff member - expert in the field of mechanical design
The position includes the following tasks:
- You will be a member of the Einstein Telescope (ET) Collaboration that envisages the construction and operation of a 3rd generation gravitational wave interferometer by 2035
- You will join the Beam Pipe Vacuum group under the Instrument Science Board of the ET project
- You will design and model the structural mechanics of ET’s 120km long Beam Pipe Vacuum system based on various manufacturing solutions: sectioned, corrugated, and large monovolume solutions
- You will investigate the structural and vacuum properties of these various solutions
- You will contribute to the technical design report of ET’s beam pipe vacuum system, and to the construction and testing of a pilot sector at CERN by 2025
In your role, you take instructions and regulations into account with a view to achieving predefined objectives.
- You have a professional or academic Bachelor in mechanical design or equivalent competences gained through prior work experience.
- You have specific knowledge of the assigned domain: structural mechanics, manufacturing and material technologies.
- You are proficient in MS Office.
- You have good oral and written knowledge of English, and/or French.
- You act with attention to quality, integrity, creativity and cooperation.
- You have strong skills in planning and organisation.
What we offer
- We offer a temporary contract for a period of two years, and a project associate contract at CERN
- You will receive a gross monthly salary within pay band 5.1-7.1 of the pay scales of the Administrative and Technical Staff. Your entry-level grade (usually grade 5) depends on your relevant professional experience. If you work part time, your salary is calculated proportionally on the basis of your employment percentage.
- You will receive meal vouchers, ecocheques, Internet-connectivity allowance, group insurance, an income protection insurance, and a bicycle allowance or a full reimbursement of public transport costs for commuting.
- We offer flexible working hours.
- You will have 40 days of annual leave and collective leave for 1 week when the university is closed, between Christmas and New Year.
- You will do most of your work at the Vacuum, Surfaces and Coatings group (Technology Department) of CERN laboratory in Geneva, Switzerland in a dynamic and stimulating working environment.
- Find out more about working at the University of Antwerp here and discover all the other benefits.
Want to apply?
- You can apply for this job through the University of Antwerp’s online job application platform up to and including September 28 2023, 23:00 (by midnight Brussels time). Click on 'apply for job', complete the online application form and don’t forget to include the following document(s): cover letter and your extended CV.
- The selection committee will review all of the applications as soon as possible after the application deadline. As soon as a decision has been made, we will inform you about the next step(s) in the selection procedure. Please make a note of the following dates: October 10 2023, decision of the selected candidates and invitations for interviews.
- If you have any questions about the online application form, please check the Frequently Asked Questions or send an email to email@example.com. If you have any questions about the job itself, please contact dr. Nick van Remortel, University of Antwerp, Groenenborgerlaan 171, 2020 Antwerp, Belgium firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University of Antwerp is a sustainable, family-friendly organisation which invests in its employees’ growth. We encourage diversity and attach great importance to an inclusive working environment and equal opportunities, regardless of gender identity, disability, race, ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation or age. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and with diverse characteristics to apply.