Mathematical modelling of infectious diseases and health economic evaluation have become very important topics of research, leading Philippe Beutels to found the Centre for Health Economics Research and Modelling Infectious Diseases (CHERMID) in 2007. CHERMID has strong historical and current research links to the Centre for the Evaluation of Vaccination (CEV) at UA and the Center for Statistics at Hasselt University. CHERMID forms an entity partially resorting under the CEV within the established Vaccine & Infectious Disease Institute "VAXINFECTIO", which comprises the CEV, the lab of microbiology, and the lab of experimental hematology.
Apart from long term collaborations within VAXINFECTIO, CHERMID’S main multiple year research projects include(d):
- SIMID , a strategic basic research project funded by the institute for the Promotion of Innovation by Science and Technology in Flanders (IWT).
- EU Projects POLYMOD, SARScontrol, RESCEU, TransMID.
- Various projects and fellowships funded by the Research Foundation Flanders (FWO) and the Special Research Funds (BOF) of the UA
Additionally, CHERMID undertakes short term contract research for governmental institutions, which include(d):
- Federal Knowledge Centre Health Care Belgium (KCE): 8 projects 2006-2016
- World Health Organization (WHO)
- Federal Agency for Medicinal and Health Products Belgium (FAGG)