The Laboratory of Biophysics and BioMedical Physics (BIMEF) is one of the research groups within the Department of Physics at the University of Antwerp. The laboratory specializes in interdisciplinary physics research in the biological and medical field. The group has three main research directions: biomechanics and optical metrology, molecular biophysics and spectroscopy, vestibular research and medical statistics.
Current research topics include:
- development of electro-optic metrology systems for shape, deformation and vibration measurements in biomedical applications and biomechanics
- finite element modelling in biomechanics, with special focus on human middle ear and cochlear mechanics, and functional biomechanics in animals
- spectroscopic and theoretical analysis to dermine structure-function relationships in biomolecules
- spectroscopy in environmental sciences / renewable energy
- spectroscopy in biosensors and biocatalysis
- vestibular and human equilibrium research and research on motion and space sickness and neuroplasticity